Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Parakeets!

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My mom has been wanting parakeets for a while now, and we found 2 on craigslist that come with the cage and everything. We've been reading up on them a lot. I've never had any kind of bird before, so I'm really excited!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My mom had one, Hollywood. Hollywood was a Quaker Parrot. My mom had her potty trained and she got to fly around the basement and the house a lot, until I got scared of her. From then on she only got out on the weekends, when I was with my dad. I was 2-4 then, and now I love birds. I'd say that, as long as they get to fly around for a while, they should be good.

PaisleysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I had a couple of parakeets when I was 9 or 10, they were pretty and loved to sing but they wouldn't let you touch them. My favorite bird was a lovebird though, his name was BeBe. He was so tame, and loved to give you kisses. Most small birds don't really like to be cuddled, but you just have to work with them. Best of luck with your new keets! :D

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
I love budgies too! I have a green one called Petey (totally un-original name, I know lol).
He likes to sit and the couch with my dog :) zdhn copy.jpgxfymj copy.jpg

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
We just brought them home! Here they are!
birds.jpg
We're still thinking of names for them. I'm thinking Emerald and Diamond, but it's up to my mom to decide what to call them. They haven't had much interaction, but they'll get a lot from us. Once they settle in, of course. I brought my old CD player down and we're playing them some soothing music.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I had parakeets when I was a kid. One would say a few words and both used to twirl under and up their perches. I also had a canary, finches and cockatiels. I think I liked the cockatiels the best because they were really interactive and one would flew around and always land on my shoulder. The parakeets were sort of like mini cockatiels. Nice little pets.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Congratulations on the new additions. Don't forget to give them lots of out-of-cage time. They have cool play gyms where you can let them hang out when they're loose. Think of it as floor time for piggies. I've never had parakeets, but I had a cockatiel and currently have a Quaker parrot. Just be very, very, very (did I say very?) careful when they're out. One of the most heartbreaking moments in my pet owning years was when my cockatiel escaped through the door to what I know had to be his death. I have him for around 10 years and loved him dearly. It still breaks my heart and makes me feel guilt to remember.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on the new additions. Don't forget to give them lots of out-of-cage time. They have cool play gyms where you can let them hang out when they're loose. Think of it as floor time for piggies. I've never had parakeets, but I had a cockatiel and currently have a Quaker parrot. Just be very, very, very (did I say very?) careful when they're out. One of the most heartbreaking moments in my pet owning years was when my cockatiel escaped through the door to what I know had to be his death. I have him for around 10 years and loved him dearly. It still breaks my heart and makes me feel guilt to remember.

Can you trim parakeet wings? I always trimmed my cockatiel wings to slow them down a bit. They could fly but weren't as fast and reckless after I clipped them.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
I have a blue and gold macaw i wanted a parakeet but my mom said we have enough pets. (1 bird, 3 pigs, and 1 dog)

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
@pinky Yes, they do need their wings clipped. I found out that the clinic I take the pigs to for nail trims does bird wings as well. The gal I got them from said she didn't know if they had ever had their wings clipped. We're going to start, since it would be much safer for them if they're out and it makes them tamer. My mom wants to get them this cool cage that has a play area on top, that's out in the open, so all the more reason to clip them.

@mufasa I'm so sorry :'( You didn't know and he didn't know. He's at the Rainbow Bridge now. <3

cam_bam15

Cavy Slave
I had a blue and grey colored parakeet, but I never actually got it tamed. It always tried to bite my hand when i put it in the cage.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I've often hoped that was the case with Bradley, but he wasn't the sort of bird who would come to people. I bought him at Petsmart before I knew any better, and he wasn't hand tamed. I worked with him a lot, and suffered lots of bites in the process, and got him to the point where he'd step up on my finger. He loved to be with me, but only on his terms. He'd hang out next to me on the couch all day, but never on me, and he'd even fly into the bedroom to wake me up if I slept in too late. Never any snuggles or petting, though, so I don't think he'd go to a person.

I kept Truman's wings clipped for years, but now I've let him grow in his feathers because he loves to fly. Both doors in my house literally have signs taped them them, though, saying "Do not open unless bird room is closed."

@mufasa , your Cockatiel might not have passed away when he got out of your house. In my years of working at vet clinics I saw many people bring in both Cockatiels and Parakeets, and even one lone Canary that they had found. The canary actually flew into someone's open car window while they were stopped at a light. Even two of my co-workers each had a cockatiel that they found. One of the birds flew onto their shoulder while they were sitting on their deck. I always felt so bad because I knew the previous owners were missing their birds. Even with a found bird ad some of them were never reunited. So it's very possible that your bird was found by someone and they just didn't place a found ad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.