Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Oxbow pellets

Phoebepiggy

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am from Spain and I have some doubts about the Oxbow pellets. I have seen that they have changed the formula of the Oxbow Essential and that now it is much worse.

Here I can not buy the KMS pellets, so I think the best I can give them is Oxbow, but seeing that they have changed the formula, I do not know what to give them now. I also want pellets with free GMO

I have seen the ecological oxbow quite well and the natural science.

Any recommendation?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The new formula of the Oxbow adult essentials is actually improved, as they removed an ingredient known to be implicated with the formation of bladder stones.

Oxbow did just come out with a new line called Garden Select. I would say it is an appropriate pellet and it is GMO free.

I wouldn't recommend their natural science or organic line of pellets as both contain calcium carbonate.

Phoebepiggy

Cavy Slave
Oh! So the new formula of oxbow is better?? I read that i have less fibre and more fat and it have GMO.

The garden i like it but in Spain its no avaible, so i do not know what to buy. I have access to Zupreem, Bunny and JR Grainless.

whats better for them??

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Your from Spain? Is there a guinea pig formula made local? Does GMO a problem there too? Just wondering because I'm allergic to GMO. I know Spain isn't Mexico but Coca Cola made in Mexico is GMO free. Weird huh?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
GMO isn't something you can be allergic to. It stands for genetically modified organism, and what the organism is that has that label could be modified in one of a jillion ways, none of them likely to produce an allergic response.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Oh, so every time I eat something with it, my head hurts, that's all in my mind? I ate a pizza from little Caesars and got sick too. GMO does cause issues in some people! So yeah, I'm allergic to it! It's a real cause to my migraines but I'm not eating my guinea pigs food. I was just asking because corn in the states are 93% GMO. I just wonder if Spain had it that bad. I can't eat candy anymore and I'm trying to stop drinking sodas because of the corn. I'm also allergic to wine. Wanna pick on me with that one too?

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Oh, so every time I eat something with it, my head hurts, that's all in my mind? I ate a pizza from little Caesars and got sick too. GMO does cause issues in some people! So yeah, I'm allergic to it! It's a real cause to my migraines but I'm not eating my guinea pigs food. I was just asking because corn in the states are 93% GMO. I just wonder if Spain had it that bad. I can't eat candy anymore and I'm trying to stop drinking sodas because of the corn. I'm also allergic to wine. Wanna pick on me with that one too?

Maybe allergic is the wrong word but I do get a reaction from GMO. I'm sorry for getting hostile but I do have migraines and one cause is GMO. I don't know what GMO causes it but genetically alter food was created in a lab so food can last longer on the shelf. They are doing studies on animals and have notice they are not healthy. I just say allergy because it's easier. Any reaction to a food to me (and that's again wrong of me) is an allergic reaction.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not a thing to be allergic to. A GMO food is still the same food, just genetically altered. The alteration in one food is not the same as the alteration in another food. So whatever you're allergic to, it's not GMO. It's the food itself.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I wasn't allergic to m&m till they did that. Migraines are being linked to GMO. But we are off subject and this one I rather not talk about with someone that doesn't have migraines. I avoid food with GMO as much as possible and I'm getting less headaches. I do have other food allergies but I found that out in my teens and I don't touch those foods. One is also sulfates (or whatever red wine and balsamic vinger has).

there are studies that show decreases in milk production in cows fed GMO foods. You could be right that I'm allergic to certain GMO foods but I promise GMOs are bad.

Phoebepiggy

Cavy Slave
So! Can you help yo choose pellets for my Guinea pigs?? Somebody tell me that The New Oxbow fórmula has leds fiebre and more dar and GMO.

I buy them? O what can u buy??

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would just stick with the Oxbow Adult Essentials.

Regardless of their miniscule changes in fibre and fat content, the pellets are balanced and one of the absolute best on the market. As far as GMO's go, your guinea pigs have no idea what they are and they won't care.

Phoebepiggy

Cavy Slave
I would just stick with the Oxbow Adult Essentials.

Regardless of their miniscule changes in fibre and fat content, the pellets are balanced and one of the absolute best on the market. As far as GMO's go, your guinea pigs have no idea what they are and they won't care.

But i Will know that The are eating GMO, i dont eat them, my Peggy either.

The ecological Oxbow its nota goof?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what ecological Oxbow is. We don't have that here in North America.

I would just be sure that whatever pellets you feed them do not have limestone or calcium carbonate in them. Those ingredients have the potential to do more damage to your pigs than GMO's do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.