Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Oxbow or KMS?

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This question is for pellets and hay. I heard that KMS Bluegrass is a great hay and cheaper, too! Are the pellets just as good as Oxbows? Please help! Thanks!!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
KMs pellets are better than Oxbows since they don't use a certain calcium type (I dont remember which one) which prevents bladder stones :)

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
KMs pellets are better than Oxbows since they don't use a certain calcium type (I dont remember which one) which prevents bladder stones :)
Thank you!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Calcium Carbonate (/limestone) is the stuff that Oxbow use FYI, but I'm not sure what KMS use in place of it. Either way I don't think I've ever seen anything but the highest compliments in regards to KMS pellets, both for nutritional content and popularity with pigs.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave

It's calcium carbonate. :) And yes, some guinea pigs have problems processing it, which means crystal formation or bladder stone formation. Honestly not sure why it's used - if you Wikipedia 'calcium carbonate', it doesn't exactly sound good for them, as it's pretty much equivalent to lime (or limescale, limestone)! And in hard water areas, some (including me) filter our water for our pigs!

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
Calcium Carbonate (/limestone) is the stuff that Oxbow use FYI, but I'm not sure what KMS use in place of it. Either way I don't think I've ever seen anything but the highest compliments in regards to KMS pellets, both for nutritional content and popularity with pigs.

Ha, sorry @Princess_Piggie! Seems you were slightly quicker on the draw!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@Party Guineas haha no worries, I went through one day posting the exact same thing as other people only 30 seconds later, on pretty much every thread I went on!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.