Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Outside Run

Hope1

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have a 2by4 c&c cage with an upper level that my piggies love. Now that it is springtime, I want to be able to take my guinea pigs out during the day to let them munch on some grass. I will not be leaving them out during the night. I will just being take them out for some running around and munching. I would like to let them have lots of room to run around. Do you guys have any ideas of what I should do?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Make sure you have a play pen outside with a lid for them. Since they are prey animals to everything you don't want a bird picking one up. They could easily grab one even with you watching. I've seen an eagle sweep up a Chihuahua with the owner right there. You just want to be careful better be safe than sorry.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Unless you're going to be with them none stop and not take your eyes off them, I wouldn't recommend doing it. Too many people have let their piggies have some outside time, even in a safe pen, and something's got them when they looked away for a minute. One user had a rat attack their pigs in their pen. If you do do it, as said above, it needs to be a secure pen with a lid, and you need to be with them and watching.

Hope1

Cavy Slave
I definetley will be out there with the whole time. I will make sure to put a top on because I do live in an area where we have a bunch of trees behind us, which means birds. I will make sure to be watching them and make the run for safe so nothing can get inside, just even case, even though I will be there. Thank you for the advice!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
If an eagle can pick up a Chihuahua they can definitely pick up a guinea pig. Luckily the Chihuahua was on a leash. But piggies shouldn't be put on a leash. So it has to be a really secure pen.

Hope1

Cavy Slave
Yes, I definetley won't use a leash, because I know that can hurt their back and it just isn't nice to the piggy! I am probably going to make it out of wood so it will be pretty secure.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Good luck. When your done we would love to see pictures.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make sure you can shade the area they're in. Guinea pigs can't tolerate heat above about 85 degrees, and with their heavy coats and full sunshine, it doesn't take long for them to overheat. Also don't put them on grass that's been treated with insecticides or fungicides, or that other animals have urinated or defecated on. Watch for insects and snakes. I live in the south, and fire ants have been known to kill calves. Imagine what they could do to a guinea pig.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Is it okay for pigs to munch on grass that fertilizer was on, even after the fertilizer is gone, say 4 weeks after? @bpatters

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.