Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Only eating the stem not the leafy top.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Just curious if its the lettuce or Gin-Gin's just decided to change his eating habits. I get both red and green leaf lettuce and rotate them. I'll buy the green one week then when I need more I get the red and so on and so forth. Well this time they have green leaf lettuce and I've noticed Gin-Gin will not eat the leafy top. I've tried and tried he just completely turns his nose up at it. I don't know why he all of a sudden decided he only wants the stem. Then once the stem is gone he tries and takes Cinna's stem if he hasn't already eaten it. Just curious if I should be worried or did Gin-Gin just decided he wanted to change his eating habits. Also after this green leaf lettuce is gone I'm gonna see if he does the same with the red leaf lettuce. If he doesn't I guess he just doesn't care for the green to much.

Any ideas?

Well, guinea pigs can be very picky... sometimes they will prefer one thing over another, and then switch. If he does, I wouldn't be too worried. When he liked the leafy part, did he also eat the stem, or just the leafy part?

I've had him and Cinna since march and yes he used to eat the whole thing. Now all of a sudden he just wants to eat the stem. Its really weird I'm also wonder could it be because they barely ever has veggies before. Their old family didn't give them a proper diet.

That could be it. If not used to eating veggies on a regular basis, it may cause the piggy to not want to eat all of it. I wouldn't be concerned. I wouldn't feed him veggies everyday to begin with. Start out with a little bit, then work your way up to daily. If just suddenly fed veggies daily without preparation, they might not want to eat the whole thing.

Only thing Cinna is literally a pig lol. He'll eat everything put in front of him. He's also usually the one that eats the most of the veggies.

Also, does he eat regularly, not concerning the veggies? If he does then that's totally fine. But, if he is not eating as much food altogether, I would consult a vet right away. For example: eating pellets, hay, other treats, ect. normally?

Ok, does this make sense, or not?

Eats the pellets and hay fine, that hasn't slowed or changed. It just got me a little puzzled because he usually eats every bit of the leaf. I also don't want to deprive Cinna of his veggies. But Cinna is bigger than Gin-Gin and also eats more.

Remember, piggies can be very picky sometimes...also, did you just suddenly start feeding them the veggies daily? or gradually?

When I first got them I would put the veggies in a bowl so they could pick what they wanted. I started with one bowl a day. I made sure to not give them to much. I'm still learning what they like and don't like.

Try ripping the lettuce and offering both the stem and the leafy parts. Or try ripping the lettuce and offering only the leafy parts.

Aside from possibly eating a little less lettuce, there isn't anything to be concerned about.

He still eats his other veggies just fine. Its just the lettuce he's changed his eating habits on.

mine both get red and green lettis and some kail or cabbage or spinnitc when i can get hold of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.