Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies Off of medication but not eating completely

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Punk was finally taken off her medications - yay! I can't find her previous threads but between pneumonia, bladder stones, and bumblefoot she made it through and the vet gave her the all clear Friday.

I also want to say that 2 weeks ago, I noticed that her front teeth were quite long and growing kinda crooked, so the vet trimmed them a bit. She said the molars looked fine and Punk was still able to bit off food after. While being sick, she really didn't eat hay or chew anything, so it's not a surprise they grew long.

So while she was sick, I fed her critical care 2-4 times per day so she kept eating. The last few days, she's started eating some veggies on her own - but nothing near what she used to eat. She's been eating hay on her own and when she hears the fridge open, she comes running to the side. I'm concerned that she might be too used to the critical care now. Is that a thing or is it that it's going to take a few more days for the appetite to return completely? I'm still feeding because if I don't p, I'm afraid she will just continue to lose weight.

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
Now a new thing -

She eats a decent amount for a few days (not like she used to but more than when she was on medication) but I continue to force feed her and then all of a sudden one morning she loses interest and loses a lot of weight (2oz or more). After panicking for the day, she's suddenly back to normal the next day.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow, but the pattern is so weird I'm not sure what to look for.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try some probiotics. Either Bene-bac or poop soup from a healthy pig.

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
I had some unsee Benebac from a previous sick pig and have been giving her that. She is eating hay and makes the motions that she is hungry (runs up to the cage when the food comes like the others), but will still eat very little veggies and fruit. She still comes up and will always accept one of the Oxbow treats which is a good sign, but she's nowhere close to where she should be.

i did take her to the vet yesterday and she is stumped as well. Her lungs sound good and she has no signs of URI or anything else except the appetite. Were concerned about putting her back on antibiotics since when she was on them, she ate even less. She is almost 5 years, so I don't know if that might play into things.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Has an x-ray of her teeth been taken?

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
Yes we did. All of the molars/back teeth looked okay. Her front teeth were a little long, so we did trim them and she's had no issues grabbing or ripping up food so I didn't think that was causing any issues. We were also thinking bloat, but her stomach seemed fine

Also, this is a vet I trust. I've taken all of my pigs to her in the past and they've all come out okay.

One last thing is that Punk is on Lasix as a diuretic since she had the pneumonia and bladder stones. I didn't think that would cause her issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.