Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Not guinea problems but RABBIT- And I'm a little worried.....

• Thread starter NotAgain_piglys
  • Start date

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
Ok so I'm not sure if I'm sposed to post it here or not but I'm needing a little advice?
I live in a state where rabbits are illegal as pets, and the little girl I have I rescued of a man wanting to use her as a toy for his grey hounds ??? Not sure why, but since I've had her she has been a gorgous girl with very little problems that some rabbit owners incounter. I got her at age 6 weeks which I know is too young to be removed from mum but I have always had her on priobiotics and she has never had a tummy trouble. So any way about a week ago I noticed more scent marking (poos) than usual which dosent bother me as she has been perfect littler trained and she is coming into puberty, she is around 4 months old. But then I noticed every now and then some of those careecal things that looked a little runny, then the wee scent marking started and now she dosent use the litter box at all! SO no worried she is in a large coop barn style thing on our patio with a arge c&c run for out and about time as we have capreted house and renting bad combo. I'm waiting for her to turn 6 months so she can have her desesxing done but Im really worried as her poos are now runny quite alot, there are still round ones sometimes but there are alot of grape shaped ones that look somewhat slimy and nothing is stuck to her bum yet. Is this a result of puberty, changed environment etc, also a few days before the first runny poo I had ivomeced her, other than the poos she is very active eating drinking nright and alert.

I would just take her to the vet But I have to cross the border which is a 3 hour drive! so Im struggling as to whether to not pay my rent and take her somehow or just continue with monitering with her diet stripped back to mainly barley hay some pellets and a small amount of loose mix which is just rhodes charf etc.

Sorry for the long post, Im very worried???? :(

Texaschic81

Cavy Slave
Well I have no knowledge in bunnies, but can you call the vet for advice? And I'm just curious why bunnies are illegal?

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
Well I have no knowledge in bunnies, but can you call the vet for advice? And I'm just curious why bunnies are illegal?

I live in Australia, and rabbits and hares are very bad pests that destroy all our farm and. So I live in a state where are are illegal to have and if caught its a massive fine, but most pple dont realize the types of rabbits we have as pets are not the same as hares and could not survive in our climate.

I wil call a vet in the morning, I did call ne this morning but they didnt want to offer help and said that if I bring it in there will be extra cahrges to the sum of $400 as they will be charging for handling fees etc!!!! Vets that are in it for animal welfare are hard to find these days...

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'd highly recommend you post this on this forum: Rabbits United Forum

They are very up on rabbits and should be able to help you.

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
Thanks alot for the link, I was trying to find a decent bun forum! Good new this morning a her pellets are back to normal so there is no immediate red flag problem, but I have tracked down the number of a vet whose happy to talk to me about her. :)

Samanthas_mom

Cavy Slave
#1. The guy with the greyhounds shouldn't procreate. #2 Do they look like blackberries kind of? I know my buns have the cecos that seem way more mushy than the regular stools. #3 It could be caused by the Ivomectin, but if it is, it should clear up in 3-4 days. I've been told to cut out veggies and limit the pellets even more if they have diarrhea, but I'd consult with the vet on that #4 The guy with the greyhounds shouldn't procreate...really. (It is so important to get that point across I said it twice).

hielly5120

Cavy Slave
THOSE ARE NOT DIARRHEA! i own two rabbits and they usually poop out cecotropes. (the grape looking things.. before i mistakened them for diarrhea.) You can ask your city for a license to keep the rabbit... As long as they are not pests then you are okay. Heres what cecotropes look like!! >

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.