Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables No green or red leaf lettuce?

Booboo1414

Cavy Slave
So after removing all of the piggies veggies x 3 days, due to ongoing very smelly mildly soft poops, I reintroduced veggies one at a time. It turns out 1 of my piggies are intolerant to green and red leaf lettuce. I know iceberg is a no no, and Romane is not really recommended. What would be another good alternative?

CharlotteJones

Cavy Gazer
Have you tried spring greens? That could be a possible alternative. Feed it to your piggie 2 -3 times a week in small proportions. My guineapigs absolutely love it. Parsley is another but it is more of a snack. Once per week. I hope I have helped. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could try endive (the regular kind, not belgian) if your store carries it. Or you could try taking her off lettuce for a week or more and then reintroduce it and see if that makes a difference. It sometimes takes the gut several days to recover.

Another thing you could try is giving her some probiotics for a few days. Bene-Bac is good, or poop soup from a healthy pig.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You could try baby lettuce too. At BJ's I get packs of baby lettuce leaves. You can get butter lettuce, herb mix, spring mix. I give mine Romaine once in a while too. If you have your own home this is a good time to get ready to start seeds for growing different lettuce at home.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mine like escarole, endive, Boston, Bibb and radicchio lettuces.

Booboo1414

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.