Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Newbie with Abyssinian

Torch8

Cavy Slave
First time owner of two young Abyssinians, what is a good shampoo that is available in USA? They smell abit cause previous home was probably not that clean and I want to give them good initial wash.

Feeding with Timonthy's Hay, Vegetables (Parsley, Kale and Celery) along with Mazuri Pellets. I will be changing it to Small Pet Selected Pellets.
CareFresh Custom for Guinea Pigs for beddings
Owbox Timonthy Tunnel.

I noticed a scab on the skin one of them is this ok? No sign of Lice but they scratch themself sometimes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is readily available, and is fine for guinea pigs.

Parsley and kale are far too high in calcium to be regular parts of their diet. I'd switch to red or green leaf lettuce as the staple greens, and give parsley and cilantro only as treats. They also need bell pepper, which is an excellent source of vitamin C. Pigs can't make their own, so it has to be part of the diet.

Both KMS Hayloft and Oxbow pellets are better choices than SPS, which used calcium carbonate as the calcium source. That's been implicated in bladder stones.

How much scratching?

Here's some reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Gorgeous guinea is a great shampoo that is available online, and will ship to the U.S. Also, my Abyssinian, Batman, goes crazy for grape tomatoes and carrots, so those are always high on the treat list!

Torch8

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is readily available, and is fine for guinea pigs.

Parsley and kale are far too high in calcium to be regular parts of their diet. I'd switch to red or green leaf lettuce as the staple greens, and give parsley and cilantro only as treats. They also need bell pepper, which is an excellent source of vitamin C. Pigs can't make their own, so it has to be part of the diet.

Both KMS Hayloft and Oxbow pellets are better choices than SPS, which used calcium carbonate as the calcium source. That's been implicated in bladder stones.

How much scratching?

Here's some reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Thanks just some scratching behind ears and neck. I end up using Dr. SMith & Foster's Oatmeal shampoo which works for dogs,cats,ferret and horse. PH balance bath went well.

Torch8

Cavy Slave
Gorgeous guinea is a great shampoo that is available online, and will ship to the U.S. Also, my Abyssinian, Batman, goes crazy for grape tomatoes and carrots, so those are always high on the treat list!

Torch8

Cavy Slave
End up using oatmeal shampoo for pets work well. I will try carrot next. So far they ate like pigs fist 2 days. Third day they ate less prefer pellets. They popcorn when ever I get Timonthy hay out of bag almost every time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.