Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

new Pig, formerly housed with a male

melaniem

Cavy Slave
I got a new Pig just a few days ago from PetSupermarket. I understand that buying from stores is not the best, but the rescue I went to only had elderly males, which was not what I was looking for. Anyways, I was allowed to hold and inspect my girl before I got her, but she was housed with another pig. I did ask the worker whether the other pig was male or female, and she assured me it was female. The next day I went back to get the other pig so my girl could have a friend, but the new worker said the other pig was actually male. Of course I was beyond upset when I found out, but I would never return my new pig. Instead I got another pig from Petco, who is definitely a female.
So, I understand that it's very likely my first pig (Lola) is pregnant. I weighed them both this morning. Lola weighs 293 grams. The PetSupermarket worker said she was just over a month old. She also said they had just gotten both pigs a week ago. Of course, I don't know how reliable she is. My other pig, Daisy, weighs 325 grams. I've done other research about pregnant pigs, but it's a little early to tell. I thought I would start this post in case she did turn out pregnant or if anyone wanted to offer advice. I'll offer any other info needed.
Photo on 6-28-13 at 1.38 PM.jpgPhoto on 6-28-13 at 1.40 PM.jpg
The brown and black pig on the left is Lola(the one I am worried about), and the blonde and black one on the right is Daisy (my brother's.
They both get along well and are housed together in an appropriate-size house.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Aw, they're so cute! ❤️ Good luck with the possible pregnancy. Hopefully she isn't!

ChelleBelle

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new piggies, they are both very cute. Hopefully she is not pregnant, she might be too young. And only being with the boy for a week she might not have gone into heat during that time. Just watch her and wait. I am new to owning piggies also, but from what I understand the diet for a Pregnant piggie and a Baby piggie are the same. Your's are babies so the nutrition is the same. Treat her as if she is pregnant that way if she does turn out to be the outcome will be good. :) Keep us updated.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
They are very cute. There's always a chance that they are pregnant or sick, coming from a pet store. Also that the new one is a male--make sure of the gender. Keep a close eye on them. It is recommended to weigh them weekly.

In the future, try other options besides pet stores. There are other options besides rescues--shelters, www.guineapigzone.com , Petfinder, Craigslist.

melaniem

Cavy Slave
I tried to buy from a rescue but the pigs there were unhealthy and very old, and while I would love to give them a better home, I wasn't ready to take in a sick pig that my die in a few months. And I did try Petfinder and Craigslist, but there were none in my area under 100 miles ):

Anyways, I have been weighing them daily. I know the second pig that I got (not the pregnant one- the tan and white one[Daisy]) was underweight when I got her and she's gone from 325 grams (11.4 oz) on June 28 to 373 grams (13.1 oz) on July 5. She's been eating and drinking very well and been very active. The other one(the brown and black one[Lola]), that I'm worried about, went from 293 grams (10.3 oz) June 28 to 344 grams (12.2 oz) July 5. She was a very healthy size/weight when I got her, and I haven't seen her eat as much as the other. I can't find any articles or anything on what a healthy weight gain is for young pigs, so any links or opinions would be great :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.