Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

new & lost lol

irenee

Cavy Slave
hi im new here so not sure if im postin in the right place sorry
but i have just got my first 2 guinea pigs i was looking at the open cages here and not meaning to sound totally stupid here but would they not get out? the hutch that they were given to me in is (in my mind) too small so i have ordered a new one for them which will be here tomo but now im not sure what to do arrrgh please help what would be the best for them?

by the way i know i should have researched but it was a last minute rescue :confused:

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
An outdoor hutch?! Oh no! Those are very very bad. If they have wire floors they cause bumble foot. A very painful and expensive diesese. Keeping a guinea pig outside isn't very good either! I'm very sorry if the hutch isn't outdoors or wire floors but thats what I think of. Also, it will be to small. Almost all petstore cages are.

There are very few climbing guinea pigs. And since the grid is like 1 1/2 feet tall, most don't jump either. Guinea pigs aren't very exploratory creatures. When I used to have me petstore cage **grumbles** , I left the door open and they were fine for 6 hours.

If you do have a jumper or a climber, yo can always add a top. But the chances are pretty rare.

irenee

Cavy Slave
thanx the hutch they are in now is all wooden including the floor and i have them indoors (much to my husbands disgust lol hell get over it) i really like the open ones though so i think ill look into it thank you again

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wood harbors bacteria from pee and poo so they aren't a good idea whether they are inside or outside. C&C cages are easy to make and it's very rare for a pig to climb out of them. If a person does have a climber, it's easy to build a lid to keep them in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.