Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog New Family Additions; Version 2.0

Blog entry from old forum

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
A lot has changed since I have last been on to this site. In a matter of months, I acquired some new family additions.

Since October, I now have Zebra finches. I started off with two, a male and female, named Tyler and Lee. They laid four eggs and now have four stunning juveniles that are soon to go to their new homes. The juveniles are currently growing in their "gender feathers", as I call them.

As of December, I also have four female mice. One is silver and the rest are white. They are very spunky little creatures, and I love them.

A friend of mine has a sister who couldn't care for her guinea pigs any longer. The sister was irresponsible when it came to her pets. She had two guinea pigs living in a pet store cage, despite my best efforts to change her ways. What no one knew, though, was that they were not being fed. My friend called me to help, as one of the guinea pigs had passed that morning. She wanted us to save the remaining female and give her a great life. We took on little Leila and cared for her the best that we could... We were up with her every half hour feeding her pellet mash and water through a syringe. We made it the vet the next morning and she was having trouble breathing. Our vet told us that she had pneumonia and an URI and that her lungs were already shutting down and we could not reverse it. She was dying. Since she was in such pain, we had her euthanized. Little Leila, you were a fighter! I just wish we would have got to you in time. Rest in peace.

After our loss, we decided that we were more than capable of opening our hearts to one, or two, more guinea pigs. I got on here one day and found a post from a member called Lady_Magoo. She was re-homing her two 10 month old females. Since she lived in Ohio, we instantly began to message one another. Long story short, we picked up Lyla and Natalie, formerly Red and Mocha, January 22, 2011. Already, we love these two dearly! Lyla is a lot like out eldest female Freya, and Natalie is a perfect mixture between Haylee and Villie. We are very happy to have these wonderful girls and cannot wait to introduce them to the other three.

Lyla has an eye problem at the moment, but she is getting to the vet on Wednesday. We will keep everyone updated with her diagnosis and treatment. At the moment, she is acting completely normal. She is wheeking like crazy and popcorning the night away after a hearty veggie meal and some fresh Bluegrass hay from Kleenmama's.

Wish us luck at the vet, please!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Good luck at the vet. I'm glad you were able to help Lady Magoo out and take her girls.

RoxieJo

Cavy Slave
Best of luck at the vet! I had been keeping up with Lady_Magoo's posts about needing to rehome her girls. I messaged her that I would love to take them if I didn't live about a thousand miles away. I'm so glad they found a great home! I was wondering about them earlier today because I had not seen any updates... so glad that I opened your blog :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.