Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Never heard of this one before...

Lakota

Cavy Slave
What in the world? Is this only for looks or do these people actually think there's some sort of medical benefit in doing this?

I know that some floppy-earred dogs are prone to ear infections due to mositure remaining trapped in the ear canal (most yeast and bacteria do well in moist and warm environments), but I've never heard of a bulldog needing something like this to keep the ears back. Their ears seem to be better off than spaniels' and basset hounds' ears.

At least it seems to be relatively harmless. It's just stupid.

Maybe it's just me... but I don't see much difference between all of this and what so many people are still doing to their infant boys. Circumcision. Luckily for my son, I'm not one of those people.
Actually some baby boys are recommended to have circumcision for medical reasons. It's just pointless to do it when they're what three days old because that's way too early to determine if they would have those medical problems.

In addition most of those problems can be prevented if that area is just cleaned and washed properly every day, esp after they urinate.

Cropping ears, docking tails and removing dew claws are very painful to the dog. Some people use rubber bands to dock tail. I just can't imagine how painful it must be for cats to be declawed.
People in the UK (back when they allowed docking) felt banding was less painful and more humane. While that procedure is considered more painful in the US and we prefer those special scissors for docking. I always find that funny.

Dewclaws are removed because they serve no use to the dog and can cause a whole lot of pain if/when the dog catches it on something. It's a preventative measure, but unlike the claim that tail docking is preventative for tail injuries, dewclaw injuries are much more likely to happen.

You can't even say it's uncommon for a dog to snag that claw on something! My own dog snagged one of hers, she was in a whole lot of pain, and bled everywhere for 5 hours until we could bring her to our vet (she snagged it during the night). Don't believe wikipedia about those accidents being rare. I saw several when I was observing area vets this semester.

I should explain that the dewclaw on dogs is not at all like the other claws or like cat claws (which require the entire first knuckle to be removed during declawing). The ones on the back legs esp. tend to have little bone or muscle structure, which makes them prone to injury. Also many dogs can't wear the nail down like their other claws. Most of the time the declaws are removed when pups are 3 days old. But I've seen older dogs have theirs removed (under anesthesia or even just local), and they don't seem too sore afterwards.... esp. if it's been accidently torn before it was removed. Those that nearly pulled the claw off on their own by accident actually seem to feel better once it's removed completely. Poor dogs.

I prefer leaving the dewclaw intact to be honest despite the fact I find them highly annoying. However I can't lie and say that the reason to remove them is unlikely to happen.

Tail docking on the other hand is more pointless as a preventative measure. However it does benefit a select few dogs. Please hear me out. In the past dogs had their tails docked mostly because people thought the tails would interfer with their jobs before it was done for fashion. The tails could get injured or something during the job. While the chances of that happening are slim (and maybe were slim back then too; though if it did happen the wound could get infected and the dog could die), it meant that those breeds that were docked normally didn't have much focus in breeding programs to keep their tails strong and supportive. There was no reason from the breeders' point of view since the tails were to be removed anyways. The end result now is that a few dogs of those breeds have poorly 'designed' tails that remain relatively fragile and that they benefit from being docked. That is esp. true when those dogs do the work they were intended to do, such as hunting. Though a few have also been injured just being normal pet dogs too. This is a real risk; however it is very uncommon and tail injuries can and do occur in breeds that are not traditionally docked.

Please do not misunderstand. I am not saying all dogs of those breeds should be docked as pups to prevent those tail injuries. The chances of tail injury still remain very slim for most dogs, and because of that I don't see the reason to dock every pup's tail of a litter just because one of them might have a tail injury in the future. It's just that I feel a few dogs should be docked, and it's up to owners or breeders to decide if they want to dock their dogs. I do not agree with the anti-docking laws in Europe because they ignore the legimate concerns of owners and hunters who want their dogs docked even after the dog undergoes multiple injuries to its tail in the field or home that are impossible to prevent. That results in a lot of pain for the dog (and owner) and the tail only gets removed if infection spreads (resulting in even more pain for the dog).

Personally I think breeders of those docked breeds should either start concentrating on improving the tail in their breeds or try to infuse pembroke welsh corgis into their breeds because those corgis can have a naturally short or bobbed tail. That would elimate the need to dock the dog's tail to achieve the dog's traditional look. That actually was done in Germany I think with boxers, and it did prove to be successful. It's still not very common though. :(

As for animal modifications, I grew up with Yorkies. I found out at an early age that their tails were lopped off to just a stub, and tape was put on their ears to make them stand up when they were puppies. Still boggles my mind.
That's not true ear cropping. That just helps natural upright ears stay and grow upright. Many German shepherd pups have that done too. Think of it like how Native Americans used to strap their babies to a broad to give them a flat forehead. Confining and constricting-- yes; painful-- maybe slightly.

True ear cropping includes that plus surgery to cut part of the ear to make it stand upright. It involves a lot of pain for the puppy. If your Yorkies were truely being cropped, then your parents were cheating; a yorkie's ears are supposed to be able to stand up on their own.... without cropping. They have natural ears. Sadly a few breeders have been known to crop the ears of dogs whose ears don't stand up the way they normally do in their breed; this is frowned upon by other breeders because cropping is not part of the breed standard (though it is a couple of these breeds in which case it just depends on individual breeders if they agree with cropping) and the dog could pass on its traits to its pups.

I can't deny that some breeds do look nice with cropped ears, but I don't see why they should have their ears cropped just because some people think they look nicer that way. That's stupid. It's not worth putting them thru that pain for fashion. Dogs with upright ears do have fewer ear infections, but cmon, we were the ones who bred floppy earred dogs in the first place! Now some people complain about that?!? Why not simply infuse dogs with up-right ears into those breeds, breed out the unwanted characteristics, and then encourage further breeding with up-right ears? That way the dogs can achive a similar look to cropped ears... just this time they do have natural prick ears.

If it's to be done, a vet should do it, not someone in their garage. The vets here always try to talk people out of it first, which should also be done.

The only dogs that 'benefit' from cropped ears anymore are fighting dogs. It prevents them from having an easy target during fights, and thereby helps prevent them from losing their matches. Having their ears cropped is the least of those dogs' problems though. Plus dog fights are illegal anyways, so there really is no good reason to have it done.

Even my grandfather who "liked" animals did some very bad things: they had a couple of cats and one or two of them had kittens so he drowned them in their creek. He would do it at night too, so my mother or her other siblings wouldn't be able to stop him. :weepy:
Your grandfather could very well have liked animals. It's relatively normal for people in the country to 'cull' their animal herds of inferior animals, and in a sense that's what your grandfather was doing. His children may have been too young to understand that, which is why he did it at night.

In this case he prob. drowned the kittens because he didn't want them and he didn't think he could find someone to take them off his hands. Animal shelters have come a long way in recent years; however they were unheard of in the 1930s. When my grandfather was a young, he didn't even realize that you could take unwanted animals to one instead of releasing them or umm killing them. Poor gramps grew up during the Depression and it was just impossible to keep too many cats around. Money was better spent elsewhere. Perhaps your grandfather was similar. He may very well have liked animals; he just didn't know what to do with all those unwanted kittens. Taking them to a vet for euthanizia wasn't an option because that would cost too much money.

Not that I agree with him for drowning inoccent kittens, mind you. It is cruel, and the kittens deserved better. I'm just trying to explain things from his point of view. Despite what PETA says about farmers and just about everyone else, I do think most people care about their animals and try their best to provide for them. Farmers and ranchers may have to limit care somewhat (for lack of better terms) to make a profit, but many of them don't purposely abuse their animals either.

Declaws I can argue differently. The animal services in my county was ranked the worst in the country. It euthanizes the highest number of animals, most of these cats. I am all for giving these cats homes and sparing their lives, if it means declawing them. Many elderly people come into the clinic I work for and are diabetic. A scratch (which is more likely than a bite- so no one argue the cat could still bite them) can result in them having a horrible infection and possibly amputation. These are the bulk of our declaws. Elderly people who live for these cats, and whose cats couldn't possibly ask for better homes. Or in the case where the cat is destroying everything and all other options have been exhausted...it's either declaw or the shelter, then I can understand it. I can't understand people doing it just to do it.
THANK YOU!! I can't tell you how many people from the UK look at me funny for saying that it's better to declaw a cat in some instances. I would rather they didn't declaw them of course, but if all other options have failed at stopping the cat from scratching and the only other option left is leaving them at a shelter or worse euthanizia, then it is simply in the cat's best interest to be declawed. Why can't the Brits understand that?!? Declawing is a last resort.... or should be. Sadly like many things, some owners misuse it and seem to think they NEED to have their cats declawed even when they don't.

You even bring up a better example than I could have in regards to diabetics and their cats. :) People who have their cats declawed do love their pets.

Declawed cats should be kept indoors or supervised outsides. However those that are only declawed in the front paws could in theory be allowed out on their own because they could use their back claws to climb trees to get away from dogs or other dangers. In fact many of them do. ;) Only those that are declawed on both front and back legs need to be kept indoors.

Also owners should be prepared for the cats acting differently at least intially (and possibly permamently); the cats may not like using their kitty litter anymore for instance.

Last edited:

sarahnmadison

Cavy Slave
I had to have one of my cats declawed. It was a very hard decision, but in 6 month period, he had completely ruined the carpet in some areas, the drywall, and multiple pieces of wood furniture (3 of the pieces were brand new- only had them for a short while). I don't know what his problem was but he would claw the wood until it was completely ruined. They weren't little scratches, it was scratching and scratching until it was obvious chunks were missing. Then he would claw the walls in the house and would keep clawing into the drywall.

I tried foil, foul smelling sprays, a scratching post for him, etc. and nothing worked and I reached the end of my rope with him. I talked to my vet and she suggested the frontal claw removal and I agreed after reading about it.

He came home from the vet the day after his frontal paw declaw (I left the back paws on so he can climb if for some reason, he should have somehow got out of the house) and was acting like normal.

Like I said, it was a last resort. There was no way I could rehome him. If was declaw or rehome and how many people will take a cat if you say you are rehoming them because they are being highly destructive? I have never seen such a destructive cat in my life but now, things are ok, and he phantom claws everything without the destruction.

Blindy

Cavy Slave
Reading this makes me sad, I dont get why people do those sorts of things to their pets its plain stupidety!
But I am happy enuogh to live in a country were both tail/ear cropping is illegal!

But still some people (not many) but the dogs tail in a door and then slam the door to make the vets cut it of, :( the thought of it makes me wanna puke.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
British people refuse to understand declawing as we have managed perfectly well without it, even as a last resort.

We don't need to understand it as even though it was only recently made officially illegal, any vet you previously asked about it would have looked at you with utter horror.

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
British people refuse to understand declawing as we have managed perfectly well without it, even as a last resort.

We don't need to understand it as even though it was only recently made officially illegal, any vet you previously asked about it would have looked at you with utter horror.

Do you guys have a high number of euthanasias? The number of diabetics in our country is unbelievable. I don't know if your cat population is like ours, but if declawing were made illegal the number of euthanasias would sky rocket. Call me stupid, but if there is a choice between declawing or killing...I am all for declawing. I just think people should try to exhaust all options. Like my moms cat. He was destructive but with oodles of scratching posts he stopped destroying their couch.

My cats were as destructive as can be. They destroyed everything, from a very young age. We tried all. Tin foil, deterent spraying, kenneling (yes kenneling them) when we couldn't be right there to watch them, the caps you can use on their nails (they chewed them off), keeping their nails trimmed very short, etc. My husband was at his wits end. It was before we were married, and we did all we could to try to stop it, several doctors visits later, and it was either declaw or give them away. He lived in an apartment and couldn't afford to keep paying to replace carpet, or patch walls. I couldn't fathom giving them away, so I agreed to have them declawed, as much as I hated it.

Now, the clinic I work at, we have a client notorious for getting animals and giving them away. She got an abyssinian kitten, I love abys. Well after a few months she just gave her to me. She was 6 months old. She had already been all four paw declawed. It's terrible. She's the most curious cat ever, so it's a wrestling match to make sure she doesn't run out. At least I know my front declawed cats could fend for themselves if need be, because they have back claws. One of our cats went missing during the move into our house. Her carrier top came detached from the bottom and she bolted. I was so worried about her because she was front declawed. Four months later she walked into our back yard and it was like she was never missing, so I know she was about to fend for herself, but she sure does love being back on the couch.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
I believe the UK has a lower percentage of euths compared to the US though it is hard to get statistics naturally. Here there is no choice between declawing and rehoming as no one would even consider getting a declaw done for non-medical reasons. As I said, most vets find the idea of doing so utterly horrific.

sarahnmadison

Cavy Slave
Hooray4Ashley: I know what you mean. I have had several cats throughout my life. My parents always had cats. I currently have them. The cats clawed furniture, the scratching post, and whatever else captured their eye. We knew that was what cats do. However, this boy cat I got was a demon clawer. I used to have pictures of the damage because I took them with me to the vet to discuss options on how I could curb that behavior. The vet said she had never seen a cat do so much damage in such a short time with their claws. It was heart-breaking to have to declaw my cat but it was what had to be done in order to keep him at the time.

I know it is one of those hot issues and I always swore I would never do it but then I was put into the position. When you live in apartments and other rental properties, you can't have the pet ruining the walls and the carpet. There is no way. There are not too many landlords that would be understanding of that and that is why it is hard in some places to find rental properties that accept pets.

I never have had to rehome my personal pets (I used to do animal rescue) and I didn't want to start with the cat. The other concern was what if I did rehome him and then the new owners got sick of it? Then what happens to the cat then? Would he be sent to a pound? Just thrown out (I keep all my cats indoors at all times)? It was a dilemna for me and I made the choice that was for the best at the time in order to keep my cat.

I have a cat now that is ruining the carpet I have in my family room with his clawing. This time is different though - I own the house and we did the room in carpet tiles. I bought tons of extra carpet tiles so when he completely demolishes the area he works on, it will just be replaced. I could go declaw him, sure, but now I have more options available to me and I own the house so any damage he does, that is to my own property - not another owner who I may renting from if I was renting.

Lakota

Cavy Slave
How do you manage aggressive or destructive cats then when other options do not work? Do people over there just keep them outdoors? That works fine there because you guys don't have any large predators; that option does not always work in North America. We have gators, cougars, coyotes, and bobcats to worry about who could (and do) attack or prey on pets. It's not their fault of course, but it does happen. This is in addition to other dangers outdoors, such as cars, cruel people, etc. Outdoor cats don't live as long as indoor-only cats, though I wouldn't encourage people to keep their cats indoor only either.

It's odd that people over there allowed/toleranted it less than 20 years ago, and now have suddenly turned against it so passionately. I wonder what has changed in such a short amount of time.

Yeah because they could lose their lisence if they do the procedure now. :rolleyes: That's also why many vets are so uncomfortable to do tail docking there even if the dog needs it.

Here there is no choice between declawing and rehoming as no one would even consider getting a declaw done for non-medical reasons.
What happens to the cats then if you can't get them to stop being so destructive or aggressive by other means? It's unlikely to rehome those cats because few people want such destructive cats. The only other real option then is putting them down. But that's awful to do if the only reason it's being put down is because it's destructive.

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
Just a quick true story here... I used to live in a nice quite neighborhood of little houses. One of them lived a very old retired lady. She has this beloved cat. She tended to this cat better than most human's do their children! Even though she was always covered with scratches on her hands and arms. Well, the lady passed away suddenly. Her family came to get her stuff.... left her cat there!!:sorry:

I could not have a cat at the time, as I worked A LOT, had a disabled child in the hospital (he spent 7 months in-patient) and a 3 year old. I just didn't have the time or the means you know. So, I hear that the shelter here has a great program for cats. This was a very good older cat, and I "trusted" what I had heard.

I took the cat to the shelter. In getting it out of the car it knicked me with it's claw. It wasn't being vicious either, it was just a clawy cat. He claws everything it seemed. Well, I carry him in. First thing, the lady saw the scratch as I was filling out paperwork. She asked if he had done that, adn i explained how it was intentional. She galred and said he would have to be PUT DOWN! Out of fear for rabbi's! I was horrified! I literally had to snatch this cat out of her hands and hit the door trotting to my car. I eventually found someone to take him in, but they had to declaw him for the scratching habit (they too had diabetes and infection risks were too high not to declaw). BUT, this cat is still living the good life! It is adored by it's new owner and it is happy.

I just wanted to give a first hand example of why so many in the US choose to declaw. I mean, one simple scratch in front of the Humane Society workers and he was doomed to be put down! I know some feel declawing is horrible, but it actually saves a lot of cats lives here. For some it is the only option to saving them.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Yeah because they could lose their lisence if they do the procedure now. :rolleyes: That's also why many vets are so uncomfortable to do tail docking there even if the dog needs it.

It was actually the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (the body all UK vets need to be registered with in order to practice) who, at the request of their members, were at the forefront of outlawing such practices. The reluctance to perform the procedures was there a long time before it became illegal to dock tails/crop ears etc. The RCVS even produced a research paper providing statistically significant proof that undocked dogs suffer no more injuries than docked dogs. It is not the case that they do not recommend the procedure just because it is outlawed. Under the new Animal Welfare bill, it is perfectly legal to dock tails or perform other "mutilations" (legal term used to refer to the practices) if it is medically necessary.

You are correct in saying that the majority of UK cat owners give them outdoor access (most can access their indoor accommodation on their own terms - cat flaps on doors are extremely common). Of course, such cats can exhibit more natural behaviour than an indoor cat - perhaps this is a much lesser problem here as a result of this? Declawing has been found to cause imbalance (some of the claws are weight bearing) and discomfort. Either that or damaged furniture - cats are cats. They claw things. It's a natural behaviour. People should take that into serious consideration before making the decision to own one.

I don't find it odd at all that opinions have changed so dramatically over the last 20 years - just look at the advances in the care of guinea pigs over this time. Heck, this time

Lakota

Cavy Slave
It was actually the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (the body all UK vets need to be registered with in order to practice) who, at the request of their members, were at the forefront of outlawing such practices.
Ummm, I thought it was due to the influence of other European countries who had outlawed such procedures. :confused:

The reluctance to perform the procedures was there a long time before it became illegal to dock tails/crop ears etc. The RCVS even produced a research paper providing statistically significant proof that undocked dogs suffer no more injuries than docked dogs.
Then why did tail injuries increase like 25% in hunting dogs of breeds traditionally docked in Europe? It's still uncommon though...

Ear cropping has no point; tail docking has some use, though it is pointless as a preventative measure for all pups. Declaw injuries are more common, so there is more reason to remove them as a preventative measure.

It is not the case that they do not recommend the procedure just because it is outlawed.
That's not what I heard. A law was passed saying that it is illegal for anyone except a vet to dock an animal's tail (or perform declawings as well). Then the Royal College forbid vets to practice it and stopped teaching vet students that aspect. Vets who did the procedure were threatened to have their lisence revoked.

Then again I don't live there anymore; perhaps the law was recently changed or something. What do I know? :p

Under the new Animal Welfare bill, it is perfectly legal to dock tails or perform other "mutilations" (legal term used to refer to the practices) if it is medically necessary.
Except it is hard to do even that. One of my friends' dogs nearly died because of a serious tail injury (the infection was spreading) and the vets over there kept refusing to dock the tail!

When they finally found a vet to do the procedure, he explained that the other vets were reluctant to do it because they could lose their lisences. I say they should lose their lisences for not doing it.

You are correct in saying that the majority of UK cat owners give them outdoor access (most can access their indoor accommodation on their own terms - cat flaps on doors are extremely common). Of course, such cats can exhibit more natural behaviour than an indoor cat - perhaps this is a much lesser problem here as a result of this?
You don't get it that it is not always safe for cats to be outdoors here. We used to have a 6-ft aligator in my neighbourhood that killed 2 pet cats and 1 pet dog! The dog's corpse was found around one of the ponds. Everyone wanted to allow their cats more natural behaviour (in other words letting them stay outside), but it wasn't safe for them to do so until the gator was removed. Would you have been willing to let your own cats out in those circumstances?

Hence it is not always possible to just kick out a destructive cat. Its safety needs to be taken into account first. :)

People should take that into serious consideration before making the decision to own one.
Sure, but that doesn't help people who already have a destructive cat, does it? Do you want them to just put said cat to sleep if nothing else works? That doesn't seem right.

I understand cats are cats. That's why I look the other way when our neighbour's cats leave dead birds in our yard and don't fault them for that. Though I do think it's unfair for my father (who is deathly allergic to cats) not even being able to sit on his own front porch because of those cats using it...

I don't find it odd at all that opinions have changed so dramatically over the last 20 years - just look at the advances in the care of guinea pigs over this time. Heck, this time
You're right about that. I'm still surprised with how much things have changed since I got my first guinea pig like 14 years ago! I may as well be a first-time owner. lol That's good for guinea pigs.

I hope my country doesn't get like that though. We have more serious animal abuse problems that need attention first before dealing with something like that. Nothing personal of course. :)

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Animal mutilations are considered abuse here and by many the world over who believe in animal welfare movements.

Destructive cats are not "kicked out" here and that is not what Daft said. It was indeed the vets here that were at the forefront of the docking ban, as they had been for quite some time. Perhaps some more research would be in order before doubting those of us who live daily with these laws and news.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Ummm, I thought it was due to the influence of other European countries who had outlawed such procedures. :confused:

Then why did tail injuries increase like 25% in hunting dogs of breeds traditionally docked in Europe? It's still uncommon though...

Ear cropping has no point; tail docking has some use, though it is pointless as a preventative measure for all pups. Declaw injuries are more common, so there is more reason to remove them as a preventative measure.

That's not what I heard. A law was passed saying that it is illegal for anyone except a vet to dock an animal's tail (or perform declawings as well). Then the Royal College forbid vets to practice it and stopped teaching vet students that aspect. Vets who did the procedure were threatened to have their lisence revoked.

Then again I don't live there anymore; perhaps the law was recently changed or something. What do I know? :p

Except it is hard to do even that. One of my friends' dogs nearly died because of a serious tail injury (the infection was spreading) and the vets over there kept refusing to dock the tail!

From the Animal Welfare Act:

(1) A person commits an offence if—

(a) he removes the whole or any part of a dog’s tail, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment;

(b) he causes the whole or any part of a dog’s tail to be removed by another person, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment.

So, as you can see, it is definitely legal to carry out such procedures in the event of medical needs. If a vet refused to perform such treatment here in the UK then they would most certainly be in violation of their membership of the RCVS. If your friend was in the UK they should be making a complaint to the RCVS or practice manager at the very lease about their vet.

The law in Scotland changed last year, it changed in England in April and those carrying out cosmetic docking can now face prosecution. Previous to this, from 1993, it was illegal for anyone but a vet to dock a tail. At this time the RCVS would not allow its members to carry out cosmetic docking and it was a disciplinary offence - the majority of its members supported this action. Now it is legally an offence for anyone, including a vet, to do it for anything other than medical reasons.

I find the 25% statistic very interesting since hunting with dogs has been banned in the UK and was banned before the law on docking came into effect. Where did it come from? Is it a European statistic or a UK statistic? Working dogs, as also stated in the above bill, are exempt from docking laws if their work involves potential injury due to being in cramped spaces e.g. drug sniffing spaniels.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
No, I didn't say that destructive cats were kicked out here, you misread what I said. What I am saying is that due to the norm here of cats having outdoor access (as opposed to over in North America where predators are a problem), they are obviously less likely to exhibit destructive behaviours as compared to indoor cats.

Even the ASPCA do not condone declawing - it's a matter of the cat's welfare vs. the owner's furniture. We don't de-nail our children when they get chicken pox to stop them scratching themselves, even if it is in their best interests. Why is it always so different for our animals? Convenience?

Lakota

Cavy Slave
So, as you can see, it is definitely legal to carry out such procedures in the event of medical needs.
Okay thank you for taking the time to post that for me. Perhaps I read it paraphrased or something.
If a vet refused to perform such treatment here in the UK then they would most certainly be in violation of their membership of the RCVS. If your friend was in the UK they should be making a complaint to the RCVS or practice manager at the very lease about their vet.
They did; nothing was done. :sad: The RCVS agreed with the other vets.

The law in Scotland changed last year, it changed in England in April and those carrying out cosmetic docking can now face prosecution. Previous to this, from 1993, it was illegal for anyone but a vet to dock a tail. At this time the RCVS would not allow its members to carry out cosmetic docking and it was a disciplinary offence - the majority of its members supported this action. Now it is legally an offence for anyone, including a vet, to do it for anything other than medical reasons.
I remeber reading about that somewhere, and it makes vets very cautious doing it, even for working dogs. Can't blame them.

I find the 25% statistic very interesting since hunting with dogs has been banned in the UK and was banned before the law on docking came into effect. Where did it come from? Is it a European statistic or a UK statistic? Working dogs, as also stated in the above bill, are exempt from docking laws if their work involves potential injury due to being in cramped spaces e.g. drug sniffing spaniels.
It is an European statistic, not a UK one. Maybe they don't make exceptions for working or hunting dogs at all. :confused:

Lakota

Cavy Slave
No, I didn't say that destructive cats were kicked out here, you misread what I said. What I am saying is that due to the norm here of cats having outdoor access (as opposed to over in North America where predators are a problem), they are obviously less likely to exhibit destructive behaviours as compared to indoor cats.
I'm sorry about that. You're right that they have different outlets to curb that problem (does that make sense?) from indoor cats. That could help... when it's possible to let them be outside at least.

Even the ASPCA do not condone declawing - it's a matter of the cat's welfare vs. the owner's furniture. We don't de-nail our children when they get chicken pox to stop them scratching themselves, even if it is in their best interests. Why is it always so different for our animals? Convenience?
Well to be fair my mom did make me wear cooking gloves when I had chicken pox. lol Still I can understand what you're saying.

And it is not always the cat's welfare vs. the owner's property. Look at the example about diabetics. Diabetics are prone to infections, and a cat could cause problems for them if it scratches their legs by accident.

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
I just want to say about my comments, that furniture was never an issue with the cat I mentioned. It was bodily injuries he was causing that was the issue. Also, to be let outside where he lived would have been a death sentence too! Wild dogs, bears and other large predators lurked all over the place. Not to mention that some places here in the states have extremely strict laws against roaming cats, even if they are collared.

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
I believe the UK has a lower percentage of euths compared to the US though it is hard to get statistics naturally. Here there is no choice between declawing and rehoming as no one would even consider getting a declaw done for non-medical reasons. As I said, most vets find the idea of doing so utterly horrific.

What I wonder, though, does the UK have the soaring cat population that the US has? The amount of breeding that goes on here is unreal.

Also...I ask again...if it were either the cats life because of aggressive behavior, or getting the cat declawed, which would you choose? To save the cat and declaw it? Or to euthanize it? I bring up the diabetes argument so many times because my clinic is in a primarly elderly community. These are people who get cats, then months sometimes years later are diagnosed with diabetes. So, the cat scratches become a more serious thing than they were before. Take them to a shelter and they will most likely get euthanized because of the HUGE population of cats in the shelter. Majority of them do get euthanized just because they dont' have a home. If declawing would get some of these cats homes then I think it's a great idea. It cuts down on the deaths of cats, and I'm sure the cat doesn't mind so much once it's got a home and isn't in a bag.

Last edited:

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
seagirl96 said:
That's not true ear cropping. That just helps natural upright ears stay and grow upright. Many German shepherd pups have that done too. Think of it like how Native Americans used to strap their babies to a broad to give them a flat forehead. Confining and constricting-- yes; painful-- maybe slightly.

Oh, I never said it was. I didn't even know what ear cropping was until this thread. I was only sharing my only experiences with any kind of animal modification. What really boggled my mind was the tail cutting.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
We don't de-nail our children when they get chicken pox to stop them scratching themselves, even if it is in their best interests.

I got myself de-nailed--well, part of one toenail, to stop my incessant ingrown toenails. But I was a consenting adult...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.