Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Need Tips for Cages and Bedding

Roxyl

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. As we all know Christmas is around the corner.

Currently I am debating saving up to switch over to a C&C cage with fleece or just keep my Midwestern one that uses Carefresh. I have heard that using fleece is much more inexpensive and easier to clean than Carefresh, and the C&C cages look very appealing. Should I make the switch?

Next, I am probably going to go ahead and get fleece sooner or later. I'll need some tips though as I am a newbie guinea pig owner. General tips would be helpful. Mostly looking for tips on how to clean the fleece, what to use as the absorbent layer below, what kind of fleece to get, how to set it up... things like that. Links to things like hand vacuum-cleaners or something would be very useful too.

Last I am looking for some toys for my guinea pigs to enjoy because right now they are lacking, and they deserve a Christmas gift! Please post links for toys that your piggie enjoys that are relatively affordable (20 dollars or less)

Thanks so much!! I love this website~

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use fleece in midwest cage. It might have to be cleaned more often.
You can also use carefresh in C&C cages.

Here's everything you need to know about fleece.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study

Good absorbent material to use under fleece:
Wood pellets: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

Uhaul pads: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/58123-Review-UHaul-blanket

My pigs never play with toys. If you'd like to spend money on thing they'll play with, buy them tunnel and things they can run through. Mine like plastic footstool.

See this thread for places to buy materials to build C&C cage.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
So, for fleece, I use the fleece blankets from Walmart (60in x 80in, $2.88 per blanket). You need to wash it with either white vinegar, bleach (it won't ruin the color) or unscented laundry soap. You may have to wash it 3+ times in order for liquid to go through it. Also, you need to make sure that, if you're using laundry soap, that there's no fabric softener and that you don't use any fabric softener sheets.

For an absorbent layer, I personally use extra absorbent towels from Walmart (I think the brand is home goods, they're 30in x 50in and $5.88ea I think). A lot of people use uHaul, which are just big fabric sheets that uHaul sells as furniture covers or something.

If you don't want to make/layer your fabrics, you could also use wood pellets or paper cat litter pellets.

For cleaning the fleece, you should pick/sweep/vaccum up any poops at least 1 time a day, preferably 2 or more times a day. When everything is ready to wash, just take the fleece outside, shake it out and throw it in the wash (again no fabric softener) and once it washed and dried you can use it again.

kemmm

Cavy Slave
I use the fleece flippers from the guinea pig market and I absolutely love them. It's just fleece and the UHual sheets, but there is also a sheet of coroplast in each one which keeps them taut. So when it comes time for clean up, I just have to brush them into a dust pan or vacuum and it all stays in place. And they have two sides, so when one gets a bit too dirty to keep using, then I just flip it and have a fresh side. I highly recommend the fleece option, whether you do the actual fleece flippers or not. It's also very cost efficient as long as you don't mind doing laundry.
I used towels before and they stay wet and end up smelling if you leave them too long. It wasn't really a terrible option, just a lot of frequent laundry as I felt I could only leave them in for a day before they were too wet.
Before that, I used CareFresh. I liked the bedding as it was very absorbent and didn't seem to ever smell. But it was very dusty, and that concerned me because I have boys and they are constantly rubbing their balls everywhere, so I thought that couldn't be good for them or their lungs. It also is very costly to have to keep buying it.
Before I was educated, I used just hay and that was the worst thing ever. My boyfriend said he knew all about guinea pig care as he had had one before (yes, just one so how much did he really know?) so I trusted him. Now I know better.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I find that a simple towel paper roll is the best toy without the towel paper of course

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.