Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Need advice on how to keep my babies cool and happy during camping

Aniimaru

Cavy Slave
aloha guys!
now before you guys tell me that I can't take them I'm going to run this by you guys just so you have a little more background info:
1) it will be tent camping not trailer camping for THREE (and a half) DAYS.
2) I've already asked people I know will take good care of my piggies that I trust completely and they said they are not able to take care of them or drop by to make sure they're okay for those days.
3)We recently had a bunch of robberies/breakins in our area so my significant other (and quite honestly me) is very wary of just letting me sit out of the annual camping trip they (him and his son along with his brother who was also a contender to watch the babies for us) have been going to for years.

So with this info, I ask for advice on how to make sure my babies are comfortable throughout the camping trip. Thanks in advance for your help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two big questions...

1) What's the highest temperature where you'll be camping? Guinea pigs can die of heat stroke at anything above 85 degrees, and are pretty uncomfortable even below that. Bear in mind that it will be hotter in the tent than outside, and you can't safely leave them outside, even caged.

2) Will there be predators in the area? If so, how will keep them safe while you're not at the tent.

Have you thought about boarding them somewhere else? Often the staff at veterinary clinics are willing to take pets home with them, and you could pretty easily make a temporary cage out of grids.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Exactly how hot will it be during your camping trip? Before I got an A/C in my basement, my American pig was experiencing symptoms of heat stroke, and it was only 26 degrees celcius in the room. It has been a VERY hot summer. Even with a fan and frozen water bottles in the cage, my pigs were uncomfortable and lethargic.

But like @bpatters said, you should look around for boarding options. I don't think it is in your pig's best interests to bring them.

Aniimaru

Cavy Slave
It will be 81-82 Degrees F. We don't mind spending money on portable fans or anything we would need to keep them cool

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
That's super hot, even hotter than when my piggy showed signs on heatstroke. Is that including humidity too? Not to mention, tents have a tendancy to get incredibly hot on the inside. If you end up bringing them, have frozen water bottles in socks available for your pigs, and do not have fans facing directly towards them. You don't want to make them sick. The money spent on fans could be invested into boarding instead.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take mine camping in temperature that hot.

Aniimaru

Cavy Slave
Well where I live they're actually used to it considering the LOW temperatures are actually 78 degrees F..... Cuz tropical islands. They've been through almost 90 degrees F as well but I take them with me into my room with AC until the temperature cools down. I pay close attention to them constantly and check their temperature to make sure they aren't too hot and if they are I make sure they get cooled down ASAP.

We plan to have them sleep in our tent with us then have a smaller tent with open windows just for them to play in when they're awake. There will be dogs BUT as I mentioned before, I don't plan on doing much besides watching them anyways.

Thank you, @Snugglybutt for the water bottle suggestion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.