Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My Piggie just died and I need advice - RIP Sura

Maria Ondina

Cavy Slave
Hi dear Piggie Lovers,
I adopted two girls four years ago, Luna and Sura.

Sura just died 6 hours ago.
Despite being told by the vet in the past that Luna had health problems (for being obese) - I always knew Sura was the frail one.

Yesterday (Friday) I noticed she was strange.. quiet, lonely and moody.
I took her to the vet today (Saturday).
It was a surprise when I was told she was anemic and probably had an infection in the lungs.
They also noticed that she lost weight since the last medical check.

The vet gave her serum and an injection of Baytril.
I was given 4 baytril doses to aplly in the next few days and to came back there again this next Wednesday.

But right after coming home she started having seizures.
Her eyes were open but she wasnt responsive.
She keeping breathing but it was difficult for her.
After some time she died in my arms. It was all so quick!

She was so beautiful and lively, how come this happened so fast??
I wasnt expecting this at all, im angry, I was careless for not noticing her problem in time.
I lost a beloved pet.

Now I dont know what to do about the surviving piggie (Luna).
She doesnt know her friend died, shes happy playing in her house, but alone.
What am I supposed to do know?
I feel like betraying Sura for posing this question - but since Guinea Pigs can't live alone - should I search for a new friend for Luna right away? Can I wait some days?
Also, Luna is 4 years old, what is the best mate for her? A younger Guinea friend or one of the same age?

I dont want a new piggie right now, Im in shock for losing Sura - but what is the best solution for the surviving piggie?

Thanks in advance for your much needed advices.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for the loss of your pig! I know how difficult it is to lose a beloved pet.

I am not too sure about how quickly it would be suggested for you to get another pig. I have never lost a pig and had one completely on its own. I do believe it is best to get a younger pig, I have heard there is far less territorial spats between a younger and older pig, but all pigs are different. I am sure someone on here will be able to give you better advice. Maybe some time to grieve would be better though. I am sure Luna will be okay on her own for a couple of weeks.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss :(

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry! Sending hugs your way.

I wouldn't wait more than a week or two to get Luna a new friend. I'm not sure how you would go about introducing that Sura is dead. If you get her a new friend, then it should be either a laid back, calm, older pig or a younger one- not sure which is better. She will grieve for a while once she realizes- make sure you inspect her appetite to make sure the grief isn't making her stop eating.

"Some animals come into our hearts and quietly go- others leave pawprints in our hearts, and we are never the same again."
Popcorn free, Sura.

Maria Ondina

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your kind words.

Maria Ondina

Cavy Slave
Popcorn free*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.