Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions My Guinea pig's weight!!!

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer
I bought a scale & weighed all my kids.

Max(male): 13oz

April(female): 5oz

Snow(female): 4oz

Bailey(female): 11oz

I feed them all the same foods. Oxbow pellets, fresh timothy hay, bell peppers, & kale.
I was told snow was an adult when I adopted her but now I'm thinking she is around the same age as Apirl & Bailey.
I was also wondering why Bailey weighs more then the other girls?
She seems to be getting rounder & idk why if she eats the same thing as the other girls.

I posted pictures I just took so you can see them.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Make sure you are reading the scale correctly. 16 oz = 1 lb. Those pigs don't look like newborns and only two are even close to 1 pound. Make sure the male is either neutered or living separate from the females.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I definitely think there is something wrong with the scale or that you read it wrong. 4oz is just a bit bigger than the average newborn pig. Also 11oz is very small, most adult pigs about 2-3 pounds.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Those weights can't be right. Also, you need to feed them veggies other than just kale and bell peppers. The peppers are good, but kale should only be fed a few times a week because it has too much of certain nutrients. They should be getting lettuce instead, any variety other than iceberg is good.

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer
I was reading the scale wrong!!!
I'm new to the scale & will weigh them again.
My male is kept separate from my girls as well until I can get him neutered.
Thanx everyone for the advice, I wasn't sure if I was reading it right lol :D

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer
This is my scale & I didn't realize it kept saying 4oz & on lol
Sorry, I must of scared you guys & I also feed them other varieties of fruits & veggies.

Attachments

image.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer
@CavyMama @sallyvh @pigger123 @Princess_Piggie

Sorry for just posting up their weight, I've been pretty busy.

Snow weighs 1pound & 4oz
April weighs 1pound & 6oz
Bailey weighs 1pound & 12oz

Max has been rehomed with a friend of mine that had a lonely male. Now he has a buddy instead of getting the temptation of the girls. It was hard to let him go but it was better then putting him at risk of getting neutered & something going wrong. Before he left I took his weight & it was 1pound & 14oz.

Here is a picture of him & his friend. They look like brothers lol :D

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer
@CavyMama

April & Max look alike from their same colors but I kept him separate from my girls.
Max is also an American smooth coat & April is an Abyssinian ^_^

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Those weights don't look like they're adults. The average adult pig is over 2lbs, and all of yours are under that. I also suggest getting a different scale, one that has pounds and grams is good, plus it should be digital so it's easier to read. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-...6730407&sr=8-7&keywords=Digital+kitchen+scale

Also, I would suggest to your friend that they get a bigger cage for Max and his cage mate.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Also, I would suggest to your friend that they get a bigger cage for Max and his cage mate.

Definitely tell her to get them a bigger cage. I don't think I would have let her have Max if I knew they were going to be in a cage that small. With a small cage like that, there's a good chance they will start fighting and next thing you know you have to run someone to the vet to be stitched up at the tune of $300.

Liiiaa

Cavy Gazer
@spy9doc
I really like your favorite scales but the scale I have now has pounds, oz, & grams on it. :)
It also can weigh more then 5 pounds, which I'm happy for that because I can use it to weigh their veggies or fruit.
Or I can use it to weigh other things.

These are it's features....

• 11 lb x 1 oz / 5 kg x 50g capacity.
  • Stainless steel finish.
  • Removable stainless steel bowl.
  • Large 5" diameter dial.
  • Bright red pointer for easy viewing.
@pigger123
I also like the scale you recommended, I plan to get a digital scale later. I am now aware that all of my guineas are all young because I've been doing research left & right ha. :D
I also told my friend about C&C cages but they got a huge hutch they brought into their house because its to hot out & they are aware of all the other risks outdoors. I'll ask them for pictures to post up.
@foggycreekcavy
Thank you for caring so much about Max.<3 They are well aware of guinea pigs but I did remind them they can fight when they are in a small cage like that.

Hopefully I get pictures soon so you guys can see they are in great hands.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.