Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Moving.....Your thoughts?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, I have decided once again that my brother's room is too hot for the pigs. This site says that if you are hot, they are too, and every time I go to feed them, I get pretty warm. I tried wedging his window open a little but he always noticed it. I now want to move the cage into my tiny tiny little bedroom, where it is so much cooler, because I fear the health of my pigs.
What are your thoughts on this? Questions? Ideas? :)

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
I think that is a great idea. Would you need to make their cages smaller to move?

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
I saw from another thread that you are getting/want to get a new cage. Why don't you find the best place for the new cage based upon its size, set it up and move them then?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
Well, I just got my C&C recently. I have found a good spot for the cage, under a window, but it has to be on the floor, or no go.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
On the floor is fine. :)

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
If you don't have other pets or overly curious young siblings, I think it should be fine on the floor.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
Well, I have two cats, and a little baby brother who's 5 months. My cats are pretty interested in the pigs, but if they get on the cage in my brother's room, or stick their paw in it, I give them a spray of water, and they never do it again. Nowadays they just sit and watch them.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I have one of the cages (in my room) on the ground with no lid over it....we have 2 13 year old male cats who are fine with the animals but then there are also 2 young cats (who were stray and feral just a few month ago..took me 8 months to get them to trust me) and even they don't bother with the pigs...in fact they don't care about them..

But it is really different between cats, if you don't trust your cats then do you have a lid on the cage? :)

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
Yep, lid is there. Our cats were also strays, but were fed before they were pushed from their old home. They never were in a shelter. It's pretty normal, sometimes they will get on top of the cage, but usually not. Our girl just sits on a speaker next to the cage and watches them run.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I close my door so that my cat is not able to get to the guinea pigs when I'm not home. When I'm home - I open the door and he has access to them - he likes to sleep in their cage, but that's only when I'm home to supervise. Not that I'm worried about him eating or attacking them - I just don't want to have the "what if" in my mind if he ever did.

Tops are easily made for C&C cages!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Just make sure that you'll go in the room enough to check on them and give them attention. I originally wanted to keep my pigs in the family room where I sit pretty much all day, but the best spot for their cage is the much-less-trafficked front room. However, both my husband and I easily got in the habit of popping in there to say hi and hand out veggie treats multiple times per day. Their playpen is in the family room anyway, so they're still out with me most of the time, but if they're in the front room for some reason, we pop in there a lot.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
I think guinea pig cages should always have a lid regardless if you "trust" your other pets. Let's face it, animals are animals and sometimes their "natural" instincts may come out. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.