Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Molded Hay and Other

guineaman
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
No, you can't, because the spores can spread throughout the hay even if you can't see them. It should be kept in a dry place, and not wrapped in plastic (which will keep the moisture in).

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I buy my hay in bulk from KM. It comes in a big box and never molds. The key to keeping you're hay from molding is to make sure it's well ventalated. Some people put it in plastic bins covered, with holes drilled in the lid and other keep it in the box with the bag removed. I keep mine in the box with the bag removed. It has never molded.

If you ever find a good way to keep the hay contained so it doesn't go every where, let me know. I always have pieces of hay all over. The vacumm is my friend.

guineaman
guineaman

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I get 45 lbs and it lasts me about 4 months for two pigs. I change it out twice a day because they pee and poo in it.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
If the hay has mold in one place, more than likely, it is in the whole bale.
I would not even think about feeding moldy hay. When you get better hay, store it in a cool, dry place. This is the best environemt for the hay. If kept in the right conditions (and if your pigs don't eat it all), hay can keep good for up to a year!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.