Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mikey

bugginjulz24

Cavy Slave
Hello
I already introduced myself a few days ago; just wanted now to introduce Mikey. I adopted Mikey from PETSMART; he had a bad inner ear infection and now has a permanent till to his head. He is still young between 4-6 months. I will be taking him to the vet to be re-evaluated on Thursday, make sure everything is working as best it can. I now am a happy owner of 3 pigs, Sookie and Clementine (Females, pictuered in avatar) and Mikey (Male). He already seems loads happier being out of the small cage he was in.
Here is a pic

bugginjulz24

Cavy Slave
Oh also if anyone has some suggestions on introducing another pig to the male I would appreciate it. Mikey is still young so would another younger male grow up to get along with eachother?
Ok thanks for any suggestions.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Why did you get him from a petstore? Was this posted as a warning to those thinking about taking that route? I hope so.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
I took it to mean he was adopted, not purchased?? Can you clarify whether he was adopted as a 'used' pet or bought from PetSmart directly??

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you consider getting another pig, please adopt instead of buying from a store again. Sick pigs are just one of the many reasons not to buy your animals. Mikey is adorable though. It's a shame he has a permanent head tilts. As far as another male would go, Mikey is in puberty, so you probably do not want another pig near his age right now. You also have two females, so it could get ugly with two males when the girls go into heat (one of mine is right now, and Percy was going nuts this morning). Have you considered possibly neutering Mikey and placing him with your sows? Most single males do quite well with a harem.

bugginjulz24

Cavy Slave
Yea sorry about that I can see how that may seem like hes purchased from the PetsMart. He was 'adopted' from a petstore; as in he is special needs; nobody would adopt him he was not even for sale. After I found out he had been there over 2 months I adopted him. I used to work at a large chain pet store and when animals got ill and never fully recovered they would be put up for 'adoption'; it was sad like they were damaged goods or something. But that was the case with Mikey; he came in originally to be sold for 32.99 and apparently developed a nasty ear infection. I actually thought he had been relinquished, because the sign only said "Ask about adopting a male guinea pig." But it wasn't a warning, although it is possibly if you purchase a pet from a pet store that it could be sick. Hope that clears up Mikey's introduction.

bugginjulz24

Cavy Slave
OK thanks for the suggestion about neutering Mikey; I will discuss it with the vet this week. He is not around the girls right now I am waiting to get the all clear from the vet. I would like all the pigs to be together in one cage; Mikey is in his own cage in my room; the girls in the spare room in the 2 X 4.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Getting a pig from a pet store that way is fine provided that you don't buy any supplies from that store. Unfortunately, if they sell animals, anything that you buy there still puts money in the breeder/pet mills pockets. Are Mikey's eyes red, or is that your flash? I love his hairdo. What a cutie!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
He is a cutie. It looks like he has eyebrows!

bugginjulz24

Cavy Slave
Nope his eyes are black with actually a pretty ring of blue around it. Yea I was pretty upset when I saw he was living in a less than 2 ft. X 2 ft. cage and for more than two months of that. He is already happier, and seems to be able to function as normal as any other pig- he bobs his head around alot like a little baby though. I assume he probably gets more disoriented so I am extra careful when I hold him and support his head.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
He's adorable! I think it's sad he has a problem with his head tilting but to be honest it looks as if he's waiting for an answer to a question, or listening intently. So cute. I'm sorry he was in such a small space, but I think he'd love to be in with your girls once he's been "fixed" of course. He looks like a little lady's man. :)

JennG

Cavy Slave
He's so cute. I'm sorry he had to go through such a terrible life but glad he seems to be in a good home now. Ooo! I could just smooch on him. I think the head tilt adds to his character (not that it's a good thing that it happened). He just has this look that says, "Hey, aren't I too cute?"

grrlbabi74

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear that your cavey was sick. But glad he is better. I wanted to share that I had a similar situation as a caution to others.

I purchased two guinea pigs cage mates from a petsmart and within one week of being in my home they became sick.

One a severe URI. I took her to a vet and she was placed on meds for the past several months. She succumbed to the infection this past Sunday, even after several attempts with meds.

The other developed cysts on her body which started as one and has progressed to 3. Again have been trying meds to resolve.

With the passing of one pig I may need to find another other VET or push for more aggressive meassures.

Well lessson learned I will never get a guinea pig or any other animal from a pet store again.

Now that I have found this site I may after rehabing my remaining pig consider adopting her a new companion. But not too soon!

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
My Petsmart pig had a URI also. So sad. I actually was going to buy two, but I already new how to sex pigs and the second was very much a girl, so I informed the clerck and they just looked at me like "and who are you to know that?" They just put her back in with the rest. That should have been my first sign not to take the one. But lessons learned and I will never buy from the store again. Not just pigs, but supplies as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.