Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

mesh-add ons for hamster tanks

sara85

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am getting some dwarf hamsters soon. I have a ten gallon tank for them, but I want to get one of those mesh add-on tops that double the space and allow better ventilation. However, they are a little expensive. Does anyone know how to make one? I have heard people talk about mesh grids--where do you find those?

thanks.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I do not know how to make one, but I do want to warn you that hamsters are master escape artists, they can climb, squeeze, or chew their way though almost anything (or at least it seems like everything).

samoews

Cavy Slave
These are great cages for hamsters, as they can enjoy the best of both worlds; climbing the bars on the top part, and burrowing into the bedding on the bottom. Cleaning regularly will prevent the ammonia build up that everyone warns of. The main issue is that you are able to keep the top securely fastened to the aquarium. I have found the clips that attach cage to tank in the reptile section of pet stores; if you don't want to go to a pet store, I am sure you can find them online. I just bought a very large tank topper for my rats; it wasn't all that expensive, and you might find that in the long run it might be more cost effective than trying to make one. Either way, good luck and enjoy your hamsters!

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
I think they have one for like $15 on Amazon, which seemed pretty reasonable to me... oops- just looked it up and it seems it's actually $25... I would be tempted to say, though, that you are probably better off buying a retail tank topper or just making the whole cage yourself with grids and/or a big tub. (What is that called- tub cages or something? There's a website anyway.)

EDIT: I think it might be called 'bin cages'

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
Oh ya they are bin cages they are awesome! here are a few links about them (broken link removed)

Here is another link for a good hamster info (broken link removed)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
A 10g is too small. Go with a 20g high at least but a 20g long preferably. I would still do some type of extension with those. Now a 29g already has the height and you can just use aquarium silicone (nontoxic) to glue pine boards to the inside for various levels and place a regular screen top on it instead of trying to add on more height and risk escapes. If you really want to get inventive you can set two tanks of the same size, like two 10s, next to each other and then build a wire top for more space at less cost than buying some of the larger tanks.

The storage bins are a cheaper, easier solution and come in all sorts of sizes. You just have to cut the center out of the top and attach wire mesh either with staples or aquarium silicone. Only downside is you can't see through the sides.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
Only downside is you can't see through the sides.

You could always get a clear one, they arent the same as glass but are still very easy to see through, it dosent matter to hamsters though as they cant see very good.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You can't see through even the best clear storage container anywhere near that of an aquarium. You can't really watch your pets from the side much at all. Only a somewhat blurry little shape. Second problem is plastic scratches easy. Reason you should never use acrylic aquariums for small pets. The bottom few inches and any other area they can reach will be cloudy and scraped up in a year or 2. I suppose with the cost of storage containers you could always throw it out and get another as it gets cloudy but it still remains as a problem with using them. Truly clear ones are also sometimes rather difficult to find in large sizes. All I can ever find are the blue tinted ones in sizes above about 60quarts which is the minimum size I'd use depending on the exact shape of the container.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.