Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Melbourne scorching hot days

mikikim

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I am new to the site but I will probably be on more regularly as it's very useful :) I might post another on the introductory forum when I get photos of my cavy.

For all Australian residents I know that most of this week (and weeks to come) will probably be over 25 degrees which will have a pretty big impact on my cavy (I am adopting a companion soon...just have to be patient, not all cavies wants to be his friend). They he will be indoors but there is no air con :eek:hmy: I will probably suffer the heat too but not as bad as Hammi. I was hoping to get some good advice and ways to help get by this summers heat :eek:ptimist:

Some information:
- Ice packs can be provided, but I'll be getting one specially for guinea pigs from WaverleyWabbits (they're only open on the weekend :sad:
- I understand that igloos and hides will become overheated (he doesn't have any)
- I was thinking of making a small pool for him

Thank you! and enjoy your holidays!

I live in Perth and it is 45 degrees over here! Some things you can do to keep them cool are. 1: Put ice in there water bottles to keep them cool and change the water regularly to keep it from heating up. 2: keep them in the coolest room in your house. 3: If you have a fan turn it on to keep the room cool (Fans are really cheap at places like Kmart) Do not directly put the fan in the guinea pigs face though. 4: Put ice packs in your guinea pig cage (My guinea pigs love laying on them). These little things can help them stay cooler in summer.

MochaAndMoo do you have a c&c cage? I live in Perth as well and don't know where to get supplies. Please can you help :)

Also place wet washcloths in the freezer and then put them in the cage when frozen solid. Works just as well as ice packs. When it got super hot in the summer here I gave my boys a little dip in some cool water at night to refresh them. They seemed to like it. I wouldn't bother with a pool. Also large ceramic tiles can be placed in the cage and they tend to keep their cool for longer than ice packs and my piggies like to lay on them to cool down. Be sure to keep the shades closed during the hottest time and open during the coolest. Also be sure to place the cage away from direct sunlight!

He really likes his grass and the outdoors, but for his safety I decided to let him free roam in the bathroom. He didn't look like he enjoyed it or he was simply a bit stressed making him not want to eat anything and he didn't poop for the whole day inside. At night it was much cooler so I let him back to his original cage. He was simply much happier and ate and pooped again. Today is a must to have him indoors (41 degrees) and I was afraid he will try to starve himself again :/
I provide 3 bottles of water, 1 large food source, and Timothy hay.

Well, Try actually letting him waddle into a cool pool of water.

I have but he doesn't like it.

I just found out that Hammi is eating... Just not food. his eating his own poop 0_O I find the very bizarre since I've never seen my piggies eat their own poop before.

That's normal for guinea pigs to eat their own poop lol Bizarre I know! My rabbits use to do it as well. @Piggies010 I founds grids in Perth! Finally I found a place that sells them! There at the bunnings in Cannington (Which is actually really far away from were I live so I have a longgg drive ahead of me -.-")

My guys have been outside this week, up to 43C today and are fine but you do need a proper space for them - most bought cages will just get hot. They like frozen water bottles but will give me filthy looks at any kind of pool - that's maybe something to get them used to early?

We made them one of these Chicken Coop Pictures & Video - See The Coops Up Close ::: TheGardenCoop.com ,painted white outside with 90% shadecloth on the side opposite the double doors to cut wind and sun plus the heavy shade laserlite roofing - it stays a lot cooler than the ambient air temp. My husband has been out to check on them and said they're running around - previous summers with weather this hot they'd be sprawled out resting.

It's not ideal for them to be out on the grass in hot weather but if you prepare well they'll be happy in or out. The grass keeps the temp down too - the difference between air temp at grass level and a few inches above pig head height is surprising. Well watered lawn is best - if your lawn is dry and brown and patchy he'd probably be just as happy in a big corflute box with a bunch of hay and fresh vegies inside. The bathroom may have been slippery? Our tiles are shiny and smooth and freak out my two.

Omg must buy some, thank you so much :)

MochaAndMoo what are they called, what's their product name? Thanks

@Piggies010 I got grids in Bunnings bibra lake (I got the last of them :sad:) But they should have them in other bunnings. They're called Storage cubes the brand is Rubbermaids Melbourne scorching hot days

It's great you finally got to make your cage, don't worry I'll find some.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.