Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n McDonalds Shakes

LobsterOverlord

Cavy Slave
Oh, and the Fruit and Walnut salad isn't vegan either, unless you avoid the cup of yogurt in it, but only if the preparer changed his/her gloves after putting the yogurt in the cup and before putting the apples in (which they are supposed to do).

John M
(and I'm sure you're wondering why I'm not a vegetarian after working there...)

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Well I'm not vegan I'm jst a vegetarian right now so I guess I get fruit and walnut salad.

Savvy Cavy

Cavy Slave
I don't think they use beef fat anymore. I'm pretty sure it's now vegetable oil, at least in the US and UK. The fries are the only thing I can eat there now. I hate their gross grilled veggie melt thing so veggie options are pretty much zero, unless I want an iceberg lettuce salad.:grumpy:

I had one of those recently. It was the only vegetarian option. I didn't like it because the vegetables didn't taste fresh. The whole thing tasted slimey and horrible. I can buy salad at other places, I wouldn't just go to MD for one, so yeah we're pretty much stuck for choice.

I prefer the grilled sandwiches at Cafe Nero, the cheese and vegetable one is really nice, the prices though mean I only buy one on special day trips with family.

PatchworkPig
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I read the nutrition facts on those chicken nuggets too once. I was grossed out at the mere thought of how you turn a fairly lean piece of meat into a big glob of fat (and who knows what else). It's unfortunate because I know several moms who will get those for their kids thinking, "Chicken, that's a pretty healthy dinner", not realizing what kind of crap they are putting into their kids growing bodies. But then again I've always had a hard time watching a kid eat ANYTHING from a fast food place. And people wonder why 1/3 of America's kids are overweight.

Faunn

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that link Faunn. That explains my feelings about fast food giants precisely, and so much better than I ever could with words!

jeep mama

Cavy Slave
I use to work at a processing plant that made the nuggets for Burger King and MD and their pressed meat sandwiches. After seeing how and what all goes into those items I wouldn't let my dog eat them let alone a human. The meat is stripped of and ground up with skin, fat, cartilage and small bones. Then there is a lot of filler added. I have taken my family off anything that has been ground and then pressed into a shape. Just the thought makes my stomach turn.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Reminds me of turkey lunch meat. Fresh turkey looks nothing like that slimey pink circle they claim is made of turkey. Just makes you wonder what steps and ingredients we don't know about that make that transformation possible.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
I usually do not post in here, but the McDonald's Shakes caught my eye. I first read it as McDonald's Snakes and I was really curious to know what this post was about. :) Glad it is shakes. not snakes.

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
Hrm... I used to work for McD's... we had two different mixes for shakes and 'ice cream'. Maybe the mix was different many years ago?

The 'ice cream' was actually labled as 'low-fat frozen yogurt' and didn't have the ingredients listed on the bag (which was a liquid mix).

The 'shake mix' (which was also a liquid mix) had the ingredients listed, and I clearly remember being amused by the fact that it was almost all soy, but with sugar and 'milk fat' (not milk, just milk fat) added in. I know it's just as bad if you're a vegan, but I found it silly in any case.

The fries also had the ingredients listed: potatoes, salt, preservatives.

The oil was 100% canola oil, at least on the fry side.

We also cooked all meat products separate from non-meat products - fries and hash browns had friers completely separate from the friers for chicken and fish, and the eggs were cooked on a separate grill from burgers, sausage, and bacon. If someone handled the meat, they were not allowed to handle any non-meat products.

Of course, it could have also just have been a better McD's than most. We were also making everything to order long before it happened on a wide-spread basis.

I hate eating there still though... not just for where their meat comes from, but because of the way they treat their sla-- I mean, employees.

Pretty much the only fast-food place I eat any more is Evos. Free-range animals for the few meat products they have, baked fries, and both vegan and veggie burgers/wraps/hotdogs/etc. Their veggies are also organic, and you can either get smoothies made from milk, or all soy.

LobsterOverlord

Cavy Slave
As I work there now, I can say the following.

Currently, they've gone back to all milk based on both the shakes and ice cream. It's all low fat, high sugar, milk. They both use the same mix bags now.

The oil is listed as 100% veg, but they were sued to release the full ingredients for the fries, which are the beef flavor based.

Faunn

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
have you considered going to wendy's? they have beautiful salads with nicer lettuce than just ice burg. Just ask for no meat. They also have delicious baked potatos. I believe the cheese is cheese flavored sauce it depends on how strict you are wether you use milk based ingredients.

Faunn

SandyF

Cavy Slave
I still would rather make my own food...
I feel the same way. I can make my own salads and baked potatoes, thank you, and not support the crap-food industry.

After seeing a documentary about two individuals in the UK who were sued by MD for making disparaging comments about MD working conditions and the health issues associated with eating their products, I'll never set foot in one ever again -- I don't care how many "vegetarian" items they add to their menus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.