Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Maple and Teddi Questions

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
Okay so, I'm sorry for posting so much, but I have another question.

I have 2 guinea pigs, and I've recently noticed a couple white spots? I'm confused. I have read a couple things on here about white spots being calcium discharge. I feed them a proper diet, ( Timothy hay, Pellets, and salads that include Romaine lettuce, green pepper, and cucumbers. ) But I did just get them 2-3 days ago so I don't know if maybe their old diet is still in their system? But if my guinea pigs are fine please let me know!!

Oh, and also, I ran my finger over the white spots, and they're smooth, so if that helps? Idk?

But thank you!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They are calcium, which is excreted in the urine.

If they're under six months old, don't worry about it. All pups excrete calcium, but you don't want to restrict it because they need it for their developing bones.

For older pigs, sometimes the issue can be caused by too much calcium in the diet. Romaine lettuce can cause excess calcium in some pigs, but not in others, and it has no more calcium in it than the other lettuces. But do drastically restrict high calcium foods like kale.

In some cases, pigs get too much calcium from their water. In areas where there is a lot of limestone in the soil, the calcium levels in the water can be exceedingly high. In that case, you can get reverse osmosis water at the grocery store. Don't use distilled water, as it will leach even more calcium out in the urine.

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
They are going to be three years old Sep. 1st, so they are not young. I feed them romaine lettuce every day, along with other vegetables like green pepper and cucumbers. I do feed them purified water from a jug at the store, but I’ll check to see if its distilled. Thank you so much for the help! But in the meantime, should I stop feeding them romain lettuce?

thank you so much! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd stop. Any other green leaf lettuce will work just as well, but without the effect on calcium.

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
Oh, okay. I might. Thanks for the advice

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@maple&teddi21, please stop making a new thread every time you have a question about your pigs. It's very hard for people to follow what's happening with them when the info is scattered all over the forum. Pick a thread and let me know which one, and I'll change the name of it. That can be your thread for all of your pig questions.

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
oh. Well the name can be ‘Maple and Teddi Questions“

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
Also, I wanted to mention. The piggies are doing great today. They haven’t fought, they’ve been popcorning a lot, and they are actually fine snuggling with eachother. I think the issues I was having was due to stress:: because I did just get them thursday

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
Sneezing?
Ok. So for some insight: This morning I was spot cleaning my piggies cage, and Teddi sneezed. (I didn't rly think much of it bcs it was one sneeze) And then a second later, she sneezed again. I wasn't too worried until around 10 minutes later, I heard her sneeze again. I'm not completely sure if she has sneezed a lot since then, bcs I haven't been around her much more today.

I've done some reading, and apparently this is a sign of a URI. (or like perfume, scents, candles being around them, which I don't use. Unless it's downstairs away from them.) But then again, I just wanna make sure shes safe. Any tips or help??

thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be a URI. But it could also be something she snuffled up her nose, or an allergy. You don't have a URI every time you sneeze, and she may not either.

Keep an eye on her, and if she shows any actual signs of illness, then take her to a vet.

Aliya88

Cavy Gazer
Okay so, I'm sorry for posting so much, but I have another question.

I have 2 guinea pigs, and I've recently noticed a couple white spots? I'm confused. I have read a couple things on here about white spots being calcium discharge. I feed them a proper diet, ( Timothy hay, Pellets, and salads that include Romaine lettuce, green pepper, and cucumbers. ) But I did just get them 2-3 days ago so I don't know if maybe their old diet is still in their system? But if my guinea pigs are fine please let me know!!

Oh, and also, I ran my finger over the white spots, and they're smooth, so if that helps? Idk?

But thank you!!
Hi friend
It's good that you're monitoring your guinea pigs' health closely. The white spots could be harmless, but it's always best to consult with a veterinarian just to be sure.
gb whatsapp

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You said you got them recently. Where did you get them from? Did they have a vet check them over? If you have so many concerns, you may as well take them to a vet to establish care and address any issues.

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
You said you got them recently. Where did you get them from? Did they have a vet check them over? If you have so many concerns, you may as well take them to a vet to establish care and address any issues.
Yeah, I got them at a local animal shelter. They were checked out by a vet. I know this because the shelter told us this, and also, Teddi had gotten a fatty tumor removed from the vet in the shelters care. But I can't take them to the vet unless it's serious, bcs I will not be the ones paying for it, my parents will. And unless they really need it, my mom doesn't wanna take them

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
It could be a URI. But it could also be something she snuffled up her nose, or an allergy. You don't have a URI every time you sneeze, and she may not either.

Keep an eye on her, and if she shows any actual signs of illness, then take her to a vet.
Ok, thank you. I've been around her more today, and she hasn't sneezed or showed any signs of sickness. But I'll keep an eye out

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
Hii,
okay so for some updates, things with my two piggies have been going alot better. Though I've noticed a bad smell. I'm aware guinea pigs do stink alot, and that's my issue. My family wants me to find a way to help control the smell, but I don't know how very well. I've been using some baking soda and white distilled vinegar to help get the smell out of the liners, ( in the washer ) but it doesn't help for very long. I've been putting a pee pad under my guinea pigs litter box (under the newspaper of course), so it absorbs better, but even then, it still stinks. I forgot to mention, I spot clean everyday (unless I'm not home) soo idk what to do. Any tips? thank you!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
How big is the cage and how often do you change the liners? You can also try fleece potty pads (smaller fleece squares) in high traffic areas and change out more frequently.

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
The cage is around 7.5 sq feet. I have two pigs btw. I change the liner around twice a week.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
7.5 sq ft would be the size of a 2x3 c&c according to Google. I have 1 boy in a 2x3 C&C and generally they need 2 changes a week. Sometimes I can get away with once a week. In other words, you may have too many pigs for the space. Are you able to increase the cage size?

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Are you using newspaper in the litter box? Because that does not absorb very well and smells quickly. I use wood pellets, by far the best at odour control that I have tried.

maple&teddi21

Cavy Slave
No, I am not able to increase the cage size. It's what I'm going to have to work with for like another year.

Also, I put a pee pad under the newspaper so it absorbs