Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male Guinea Pig (Id like to find a new home for him) Chilton, WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckpony99

Cavy Slave
I had gotten a male pig, an then decided it would be good to have a buddy for him, so I got another. They did not get along well at first, alot of rumble strutting and teeth chattering, both pigs. I watched them closely and things started to get better with a bigger cage, they are in a 2x4. But still after a week the aren't getting along the best. Im not sue how long it takes or if they will ever get along. So id like to try and find my other pig a home if I can. Got him from a pet store, and she said he was 2/3 months, so who knows. He is the black and white in the pic. Thanks.

Attachments

guinea pigs 01.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
The general rule is to not separate unless blood is drawn, everything that you described is normal dominance behavior. You also might try making it a 2x5.
I don't think you should give him away yet, especially when the behavior is normal.

Good luck trying to bond them! :)

My two boys are going through the same thing right now. They are both about 5 months old and are trying to assert their dominance. Actually, one already has (Albus), and I think the other (Grindy) is just tired of the rumblestrutting and other dominant behaviors. Sometimes Grindy fights back as if to say "Enough already! You're dominant, I get it!". Keep an eye on them and make sure that they dont hurt each other. That is what I have been doing with my pigs. Keep an ear out for any fighting that leads to pain. There's alot of rumbling, strutting, face-offs and chattering going on in my boys' cage. So, don't give up on your pigs yet. Boys will be boys!:)

I wouldn't separate until blood is drawn, rumble-strutting is normal for males as they are defining dominance.

They dont fight real bad, just like bickering. The black and white usually starts it, sometimes i find them cuddled up in the same house though. So im hoping in time they will be ok. Id like to keep him, guess we will see.
He doesn't have a name yet, anyone have any good name ideas?

Give it more time, it could take a few weeks for things to calm down.

If you want to rehome your guinea pig, please follow the instructions at the top of this forum:

If you would like to create a listing to rehome your guinea pig,
please visit (broken link removed) and create your listing there.

Since you didn't come here (presumably) for advice on keeping the pig and you need to create a listing on GPZ anyway, I'm closing the thread. If you want advice on keeping the pig and helping them to get along, please start another thread in the About Guinea Pigs section of the forum.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.