Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners made some fun stuff.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
So today I was successful in making a no sew lap blanket out of discounted fleece remnant and a thriftstore matress pad/topper. All in all a fun satifying project. Happy New year.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Can you post a photo? I'd love to see it! !

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
Id like to see pics too :)

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
Sure I'll give it a try.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
made some fun stuff.
This my attempt to do a no sew lap blanket. In hinde site I made it a touch large. Basicaly it is fleece matress topper and fleece. I'm hopfully going to get my sewing machine runnng soon I'm just nervous about messing things up.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
cute lap pad! Can't have enough of those :O)

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
I agree apparently it wasn't wicked right as my bride found out. I guess its time for a couple morewashes.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I agree apparently it wasn't wicked right as my bride found out. I guess its time for a couple morewashes.

first off: nice job! I like it!

if you haven't already tried that, what helped me tremendously when having trouble getting fleece to wick, I added a big gulp of vinegar to the wash cycle. worked like a charm! I've also heard of people using a combination of dish soap and vinegar for washing.

also, how did you make that lap pad exactly, meaning, how did you get the layers to stick together if not sewing? I don't see binder clips or anything.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
I used hemming web. Basicaly I ironed them together. It takes a while and u need to make sure tthat its holding very well befor washing again.
Now that I have a sewing machine I just may be using that nexy time.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
I got a sewing machine from a thrift store last week for 14.95. The only thing it needed was a bobbin case. Done easy day. So I draged it out yesterday and faced my fear of sucking really bad. Yep it took me for ever to thred it and wind a bobbin but I finaly got it. Thank you youtube.
I tried my hand at sewing a pee pad. It looksgood on one side a dreadfull on the other. But hey u need to start somewhere right. I hope to take classes with my 14 year old daughter. I'm excited to learn more.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
I used instructions I found somewhere on here (can't find it now) to make a cotton hay bag for my boars, Rockii and Winston! I had to see by hand because I don't know how to use a sewing machine or even have one lol. Is the first thing I've ever seen since 7th grade lol. I'm so proud of it... Let me know what ya think!

I didn't have eyelets, so I made the tiniest of holes by marking where I wanted them and folding once then again and cutting the very teeny tiniest of holes. I then sewed around the holes to make them stronger and not fray. Took me a couple hours on and off. Had to cook dinner. :[

I then just looped safety pins through the holes to hang from the top of the cage! When I get my cc cage done in a week, it can hang from the squares!

P.s. - love what you have made! You inspired me to make something for my piggies too!

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1389121474816.jpg

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I got a sheet of coroplast for FREE! I went to the local sign and graphics shop and they had a sign they were going to just throw away because someone didn't pay for it so they said I could just take it! Woot!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Great hay bag and awesome score on the free coroplast!!

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Great hay bag and awesome score on the free coroplast!!

Thanks!

You know I was thinking thinking though.... Some people have so to beware of too big or too small of holes because the GP'S can get stuck inside but I don't think they can get their heads stuck. I would think that if they really tried, they could get inside the bag if it was not full, but could get out again too. This shouldn't be a problem with these holes right? I mean 1. It's hanging, 2. They are big, so no strangulation worries I wouldn't think....I cut them to be 6mm and I'll have to measure them now but they should be 6mm.

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks!

You know I was thinking thinking though.... Some people have so to beware of too big or too small of holes because the GP'S can get stuck inside but I don't think they can get their heads stuck. I would think that if they really tried, they could get inside the bag if it was not full, but could get out again too. This shouldn't be a problem with these holes right? I mean 1. It's hanging, 2. They are big, so no strangulation worries I wouldn't think....I cut them to be 6mm and I'll have to measure them now but they should be 6mm.

The only thing I'd worry about is the closeness of the holes, they may wear out there and create a bigger hole for them to get into, but I wouldn't worry about their heads getting stuck, just put the bag high enough that they have to reach up for the hay?

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
The only thing I'd worry about is the closeness of the holes, they may wear out there and create a bigger hole for them to get into, but I wouldn't worry about their heads getting stuck, just put the bag high enough that they have to reach up for the hay?

That's what I did. I hung out from the top of the cage roof. It's not to high bit they will get exercise when getting their hay now. I guess of they really wanted to get in the could try and climb but I think they'll be cool. Thanks for the feedback!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I think it will depend on the size of the pig regarding the measurements. Good question though, I don't know if anyone has posted the recommended hole size?

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
So, guess what? 2 days ago while is free range zone, Rockii decides to climb up into his hay bag and just nibble on the hay there (piggy piggy). I watched him to see if he could safely Hey out and he did. No issues at all. It wad lower than it is in their cage may be why he did it. He kept doing it and did it today too. Rings in. Runs out. Lol.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
HI i like the ha bag i made one too out of my sons old pj pants. yeah they like to sneek in and hide amongst all the hey pretty cute but i get worried that the piggy will pee and poop on alll the good hey. but its so cutee.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.