Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Lost Voice?

bwb31

Cavy Slave
One of my skinny pig boars seems to have lost his voice. I don't know his exact age but my best guess is hes somewhere around 2.5 or 3 years old. Over the last 6 months or so his wheeking has changed to become more of a raspy heavy breathing. It doesnt sound like there is phlegm or liquid in there, it sort of sounds like he is breathing through a straw - but only when he tries to wheek. Aside from that, hes a healthy boy. I weigh him weekly and his weight is stable, his breathing is clear, and he still eats and popcorns all the time like a normal happy pig. He used to have a pretty loud wheek and now its just this airy sound. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? I think I'll take him to the vet to get checked out anyway.

Nope, sorry. I have a pig who is very quiet, but not one who has lost their voice.

It does sound like a URI, do take him to a vet as soon as possible.
I have a girl with a "broken squeaker", but she was most likely born with it.

One of my girls occasionally does this too. She is normally really loud but every now and then (it's almost like she has a dry throat) she will make the same sound you described. Keep an eye out.. Could be the start of a uri.. But could also be nothing. Good luck :)

Felix has a broken squaker aha.

He doesn't really wheek like izzy. I just think he's lazy.

Lots of pigs lose their "wheek". Unless he's acting sick and losing weight or showing any other signs of a URI, I think he's fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.