Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

looking for single boar in morris, mn

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
i am a 20 year old student in morris minnesota, and currently have just one male pig named zodiac. he's right around a year old, and before i got him i was totally naive to the guinea pig world! i had no idea how much care he'd require, but i'm loving every minute of it! he's such a wonderful little bugger, but between work and school, i'm afraid he gets a little lonely in there (though i offer quite a portion of my free time to him, i'm afraid it still might not be enough for him, or on his time schedule) so i'm looking for a little mate for him, and i'd like to adopt... but i've been unable to find a guinea pig adoption center anywhere near where i am. i'd be willing to travel a fair distance, but i can't find anything closer than maybe six hours. if anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated. thanks!

-mulengro

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I checked on PetFinder, and here is the list of piggies that are potentially near you: (broken link removed) Hope this helps! =)

Leann

Cavy Slave
adopting pigs in MN

hi mulengro,

Do you know about JPGPR (Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue) run by Vicki Palmer Nielson in Stacy, MN? Stacy is about an hour north of the Cities. I know it's not that close to Morris, but I highly recommend adopting from Vicki. I think she even has some single boars right now looking for homes. Her website is (broken link removed) - right now there are a lot of annoying ads to wade through, but click on "Articles" at the bottom, then click on "Are these MN Guinea Pigs Waiting for You?" to see who may be up for adoption - and she probably has more that aren't listed there. You can also write her directly at [email protected]. I'm sure Zodiac would be thrilled with a buddy. Good luck!

Leann

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
do you live close to burnseville cavylover? it's three hours away from here, but i think we're going to make a special trip next weekend. my birthday's coming up here on the 26th and tomorrow my mom's taking me shopping for supplies for my new cage as my 21st birthday present (haha, i gave up the most important night of alcohol consumption for these little buggers... i need a life) but thanks for the referall!

-mulengro

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
oh and leanne, yeah i was looking at her vicki's webpage and found one cute little guy that i'd really enjoy, vanilla coke, but for an adoption shelter she charges quite a bit, don't you think? 45 dollars? i guess i didn't inspect the site all that closely... are the pigs spayed/neutered? or does she just charge so much as a deterrent to unloving pig owners? i love my pigs, but i'm not very rich :( i'd really like to give that little guy a home though...

-mulengro

Leann

Cavy Slave
$

Hi m-
I just checked her site again - the cost is $30 for one pig and $45 for a pair. Cost includes food she sends home with you and free info. But actually you get more than that. I have met Vicki personally and she is wonderful. You can call her with questions, she's very knowledgeable about gp health - I've called/e-mailed on more that one occasion for help. Also, with Vicki's pigs, you know you are getting a healthy pig - that is something you' can never be sure of if you buy a pig from a pet store, and even humane societies may not be reliable. (at a local shelter here I once found a pig with lice - and they are supposedly examined by a vet). So, in my opinion, $30 is a deal.

And, I'm not sure about Vicki's take on this, but I think there is something to the idea of charging some substantial amount does go hand in hand with making sure the owners are able to afford to take care of their pigs financially - gp vet bills can be as high or higher than those for a cat or dog... you may want to put away a little extra for a rainy day...

Plus, that Vanilla Coke pig is freakin' gorgeous!!! I'd take him myself if I could!

Oh, and he is not neutered - Vicki doesn't neuter or spay her pigs because the surgical risk (more risky for pigs than cats/dogs), unless there is some medical condition that warrants that (rare). She has an article on neutering on her site too.

I'm somewhat new to this board so I don't think I know who burnesville cavylover is....

let us know if you follow up...
Leann

Allysse

Cavy Slave
Vanilla Coke has been adopted.

If you look at the thread under this, I have a few guinea pigs available (Adoptable cavies in MN). Schnitzel and Fritzel might be available for adoption as single pigs, but I haven't decided on that yet. And sometimes trios work well for boars.

How old is your boar?

There are lots of guinea pigs at the shelters. www.petfinder.org

Allysse

Cavy Slave
Oh and Hi Leann! Pip and Harley were adopted out about a year ago, they were renamed Pip and Bubba- isn't that cute?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yes, I live in St. Paul if you wanted to know. I want to adopt Schnitzel and Fritzel!!! They are sooo cute! My mom says that would be too much right now though. Good luck again! =)

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
well that sucks that vanilla coke has been adopted, i was planning on heading up there to give him a look in about a week or two... my current pig is about 9 months-1 year old. he's just a sweetheart, and i thought about getting two more but if they came and they already liked each other i'd be afraid they'd just stick to their own "clique" and my poor piggie would still be lonely, though i'm not sure if that happens...

i don't have cageroom at the precise moment, but i'm in the process of getting all my c&c supplies to build a huge mansion, it's really going to be something!

thanks for all of your help! it's strange how nice complete strangers can be... i'm going to keep looking though, hopefuly i'll find him someone soon.

-mulengro

Allysse

Cavy Slave
If a bonded pair accepted a single boar then they would all be friends. It is doubtful that one pig would feel left out if they got along peacefully.

Are you looking to have a big herd at some point (4-8 pigs)? Or do you want to stay small, say 2-3 pigs most? Being an owner of boars and having lots of experience with them, it's hard to form herds, and almost unherd of to have many boars living together peacefully. If you want less bonding problems and/or plan on expanding your herd, neuter your male and get him a female. I can suggest 3 clinics that are good with cavies and have experience altering boars.

Your boar is at what I like to refer to as 'the peak of hormones'. It is harder to add other boars at this point, unless the boar is significantly older.

If you have any questions you are welcome to email me or I believe this board has a private message option.

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
well as of right now, my girlfriend and i are renting and sharing the house with other roommates, and i'm not sure about all that. there's ample space, that's not the issue, it's just i don't want to have to be moving many pigs around all the time. i'd eventually like to have a larger herd, but as of right now i'm only looking for maybe one more, just to befriend my little guy, and two more if they were already bonded, though we'll see how the future fares, they seem rather addictive, don't they ?^_^ but again, thank you for all the help!

-mulengro

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.