Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Life Without Veggies?

bouncer36

Cavy Slave
I been giving my boys a baby carrots everyday

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I been giving my boys a baby carrots everyday

A baby carrot a day per pig is okay. It's really a pig by pig thing, just like foods are a human by human thing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One word of clarification here. Increased sugar intake does not cause diabetes. A pancreatic malfunction causes one type of diabetes (type I in humans, little or no insulin production). If diabetes in pigs is broken into types like it is in people, I don't know about it, but diabetes is not nearly as hard to manage in pigs as it is in people.

I agree with Xanima that, generally, pellets are far more to blame for obesity in guinea pigs than any kind of vegetables they may get. In fact, I don't know of a single instance of an obese guinea pig that was not overfed with pellets.

Herbivores that get normal food for them (nothing prepared, just natural) are almost never overweight.

My pigs get a thumb-sized piece of carrot each, every day.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girls get carrot daily too with no problems thus far.

One thing I'd like to clarify though, @xanima, when you say your pigs have access to carrot "most of the day", do you mean that there are always carrots in the cage?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
One word of clarification here. Increased sugar intake does not cause diabetes. A pancreatic malfunction causes one type of diabetes (type I in humans, little or no insulin production). If diabetes in pigs is broken into types like it is in people, I don't know about it, but diabetes is not nearly as hard to manage in pigs as it is in people.

I agree with Xanima that, generally, pellets are far more to blame for obesity in guinea pigs than any kind of vegetables they may get. In fact, I don't know of a single instance of an obese guinea pig that was not overfed with pellets.

Herbivores that get normal food for them (nothing prepared, just natural) are almost never overweight.

My pigs get a thumb-sized piece of carrot each, every day.

When I talked to a veterinarian she made it sound like they could get type II diabetes. I honestly don't know either way. I just go off what my vets tell me since I'm not a vet or nutritionist.

ETA: I just did a quick search through an academic journal database. I found a lot of research on guinea pigs with diabetes, but I didn't see anything on the development of diabetes or diagnoses. I'd have to look more in depth to see if I could find anything else. This was just based on reading abstracts.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.