Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece LICE!

00pink

Cavy Slave
Just got back from the vet my Smush has a URI and as an added bonus both piggies have lice! My question is does it matter how I wash the fleece? Hot water vs. Cold water? Vinegar, baking soda, just detergent? My mum is away so I can't ask her and I'm completely lost I just spent forever cleaning everything in their cage

Hot water, detergent, and bleach. Same way it should be washed every time you wash it.

You don't have to do a huge detox for lice. The treatment will kill the live lice. Nothing will kill the nits. When they hatch (7-10 days), you need to treat again (unless you've had some long-acting treatment) to kill those live ones. It'w why 2-3 treatments are usually recommended. Lice can't live long off a warm-blooded host, so they're mostly on the pig, not in the bedding.

Ok thanks it's just so gross seeing them crawling all over my poor piggies so I decided to just clean everything super good just in case. They gave me 3 treatments for both pigs and said every two weeks to administer it

I wouldn't wait two weeks. Lice hatch every 7-10 days, and they can lay eggs at 7 days, so 10 days is the longest I'd wait.

I'll definitely do it every 10 days then want these gone ASAP just thinking about them is making me itch

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.