Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Lazy Caretakers *Neglect*

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I also sent this off in response to their earlier reply:
"Thank you for replying, but seeing this at the Hallmark store made your entire company look unprofessional in the way they care for the animals. It would be a good choice to advise this store to take more care in the future, as seeing the algae-filled aquariums made me not want to shop at any of your locations (corporately owned or not), ever. This could make sales drop severely in all stores, especially if animal rights groups get involved."
The point is, they can't do anything about what an independent owner or manager does or doesn't do other than pass the information/feedback on. Encouraging you to take up your issue with that person was the best advice, in my opinion. I applaud you for taking it upon yourself to see to it that the situation was fixed. Sometimes, instead of threatening to make a public crusade or spectacle, you can achieve satisfactory results by direct communication, which you accomplished by discussing the matter with a store associate. Good for you.

I think the bigger picture solution would be stopping the sales of these frogs in Hallmark stores in the first place, not launching an assault on Hallmark and threatening to boycott their business. It's unrealistic to expect clerks that work the cash register and do other work in a greeting card and novelty store to take an active interest in caring for and cleaning up after live animals - that's the issue that needs to be addressed here. It's also unrealistic to expect these animals to have any decent quality of life before or after purchase in such a situation, so to me, the best thing would be to work on ending the sales of them in novelty stores in the first place.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Onetwo yep, the rocks had a green residue on them and the gravel was all mixed together, as opposed to the new types which would have a layer of brown and a layer of color.

Yamiko

Cavy Slave
Even I who know nothing about froggies would know that tank is in a deadly state for the frogs. Which idiots would think it's ok for the frog to live in a tank like that?

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hello, i find that sick and disgusting

I love snails shrimp etc and i have tons on them in my room haha my family thinks im crazy, but here tanks are wayyyyy bigger and wayyy cleaner. I have a snail that has a tank bigger then that :(

I was wondering what these frogs are
how much money they are
where can i buy one in canada
etc so if you own one or know about them please tell me because i love strange things like that and i would love to get one :)

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
Holy crud! That is beyond nasty. It takes quite awhile to grow THAT much algae. What in the world is a place like Hallmark doing selling live animals anyways? Just silly. Kudos to you for taking strong action!! Keep us posted!

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
yes please keep us posted

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
@oldnewie well put!! If they don't have time to properly take care of the frogs then they shouldn't sell them in the first place.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
@ Kermit_Koeller I think it would be best not to solicit their stores, I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but these frogs have the same principle as buying puppies from a pet store. They will only get more if you buy these guys. It is very kind to try and help the frogs, but It would only help the cruel stores.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@ Kermit_Koeller I think it would be best not to solicit their stores, I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but these frogs have the same principle as buying puppies from a pet store. They will only get more if you buy these guys. It is very kind to try and help the frogs, but It would only help the cruel stores.

i think that comment was ment for my :p mine was above hers and makes more sense for my comment

Okay, i guess you are correct but i just feel bad and want to help one :( i want a froggy but i dont want to support petstores and i dont want to support hallmark so now i dont know where to get a frog :( gahhh i dont think they have any frog shelters in my area :p

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, I meant you. Sorry. Maybe you'll just have to wait or check CraigsList to see if they have any frogs.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Oh yeah, I meant you. Sorry. Maybe you'll just have to wait or check CraigsList to see if they have any frogs.

ya haha after seeing this thread makes me want to get a frog lol

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
@MommyOfMany you had me confused there for a minute! lol ugh poor froggies =[

piggies0117

Cavy Slave
I KNOW! When I was younger I saw these and my dad said he might get me one. Now looking back, that would NOT have been a good idea. He was talking to the people about it and she said "Yeah, theyre great for little kids (I was 6) because you only need to clean the box 2 times A year" ugh disgusted

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
Green Earth, a store in Ontario, sells frogs too. They don't look too bad, but I still don't feel right about it. This is just awful. Good for you for making a stink about it!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Call your local animal control and ask their advice on what to do. That's clearly a case of animal abuse.

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
That's revolting. I just saw some dyed (of all things!!!) African frogs at a mall kiosk the other day. I didn't even know they were making such a thing or that they were legal in the U.S. Sickening things we do to animals. :(
@asnnbrg Were you out at the Mills (St. Louis Outlet Mall?) I have called the Humane Society on them. When I called I was laughed at because they take calls on them all the time. They want that kiosk shut down, but so far they have had no luck. They had hamsters on reptile bedding last time I was there, no food, and water in a bowl. I wanted to bring them all home.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not a PETA fan, but they might get involved if you send them the photos and info.

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
I'm not a PETA fan, but they might get involved if you send them the photos and info.

That's a good idea they would probably make a big fuss about it the only problem with PETA is they handle situations to the EXTREME. Sorry to any PETA lovers out there but, their way of handling things can range from childish to illegal, like throwing paint on people wearing furs. I think a good talking to can have good results, like the frogs but since the Kiosks have been reported and nothing has been done, maybe it's time for some PETA power! ;)

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
PETA has stopped one company (Stonewall or something similar) from selling things with the same concept as these, I checked on the frogs again last week and they were doing OK. So glad. Still sold in the kid's toy section, however...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.