Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Larry just bit me!

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I guess your right @iamsnape .Larry is very skidddish when I even WALK near the cage.Does anybody have an idea on how I can make him feel safe around me?

cross

Cavy Slave
I guess your right @iamsnape .Larry is very skidddish when I even WALK near the cage.Does anybody have an idea on how I can make him feel safe around me?
i have had my sunshine for about 9 months and i pick her up every day and brush her and have lap time. she is still when once i pick her up but she always runs away from me unless she knows i have her food or a treat and she sees my kiki come then she follows behind and comes

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
If i put Larry ina towl on my lap and give him a treat will he not be so tempted to bite me?

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Yes that should help. I usually try to give mine somewhere to hide during lap time, either a little cave in a towel or blanket or make a tunnel of cushions on the couch, they don't always hide but I like to give them the option. Larry still may choose to come up to your shoulder for snuggled, but that will be on his terms then so there shouldn't really be any reason for him to bite. My piggies will often climb up onto my shoulder to hide in my hair.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I just took Larrry out for a snuggle.I put him right in the middle of my lap.He climbed up on my shoulder and just stayed there.He fell asleep.I help him for five minutes.But for some reason he peed on me.So I put him up and cleaned myself up.Any ideas out there for how to make your pig not scream when you give them a bath?Larry and Mo scream at the top of their lungs when we brush them,bathe them,clip nails,aand clip fur.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Can't help you there, mine all scream with anything like that. And being peed on is pretty normal too.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Can you use dog shampoo on your guinea pig?

Nix16

Cavy Slave
No you need to get a small animal shampoo.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Why do you NEED small animal shampoo?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Now this may not be true and I would love to have it clarified, but my previous veterinarian told me to use a small amount of Ivory dish soap to wash my guinea pigs. She said Ivory was very gentle but strong enough to take care of their grease gland. Again I'd love this to be clarified and since I am unsure of how safe this is PLEASE don't take it as advice yet, but it is what I used on my past guinea pigs.
I do not frequently bathe my guinea pigs, and in fact so far only one of my current ones has ever been close to a bath but I really just washed his grease gland for the most part. I think you will find you won't need to give many baths.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I usally do have to give a lot of baths,because they get dried pee on theiir bellys.I don't know why.But they do.Do your pigs?How do you get rid of this from happening?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I haven't run into that issue before. What kind of bedding do you use?

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I use Care fresh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.