Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Just got a red satin bunny!

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
I just got a new bunny and need some advice on how to properly take care of her. Is aspen bedding safe for rabbits? My new bunny dosen't eat very much and I haven't seen her drinking. How big will she get? What kind of cage can I get her, she escaped from the one I made for her about 18"in. I got her from a friend who didn't know her age (she was going to "let her go":mad:), but she is a baby. Is there anything else I should know?

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
I don't know too much about bunnies, but what I have picked up is that they need a lot of room, they need a lot of room, and they can live in a C&C cage. The C&C cage for a bunny has to have high sides and maybe even a cover if they are a houdini bunny. :) Thank you so much for rescuing her! People that think domestic pets can simply be released back into the wild just make me so mad! :mad: Domestic pets aren't called domestic for nothing, they can't survive in the wild very well.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
(broken link removed) get to be around 10 lbs. They are big rabbits. There is also a mini satin that weighs in around 5 lbs. Rabbits are generally full grown around 6 months of age so you will know which breed you have by then.

Your cage will need a lid. This C&C cage is a great starting point! Use 3/4 ply wood and you will not need a grid base for the levels. Also I built my C&C rabbit cage for around 50 bucks, I believe the guy in the video over estimated the cost.

You will need to look into getting your rabbit fixed, generally this can be done around 3 months of age or after the males drop.

You will need to bunny proof your home.

You will need to read up on litter training.

You will need to think about getting a (broken link removed) but please work with a rescue as pairing rabbits can be very, very difficult.

Rabbits are great animals but they are not easy pets. Their care level is much higher than a guinea pig's and, in my opinion, on par with a puppy. Be prepared for some destroyed objects until you get a handle on how to control, care for and train your bunny properly. Rabbits are very smart and they are very self determined making them challenging at times but awesome animals for those who bond with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.