Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Ivermectin for Guinea Pigs

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
Anyone who's dealt with mites here?
I'm trying to find good brands of Ivermectn for my guinea pig? I would really appreciate any input on dealing with piggies with mites as well. A list would be very useful. Guinealinx said that you can use ones for cows and horses on guinea pigs (and I learned you can use them on people as well?) I adopted one who's infested with mites. The place I got her from was unclean.

Hello, I ordered the pour on, how do you dilute it?

Either tell us what strength it is (mg/ml, or percent), or post a clear picture of the label.

Sorry this was so late the product was on held back for 2 weeks and I had to buy it through my pet supply store. The package says 250 mL and 5mg ivermectin per mL. I don't want to overdose my baby, so the lightest dose please. @bpatters I see you have helped many people with dosing ivermectin before do you have any input? This is the skin formula and I've read that it's hard to overdose on the skin, is this true?

I forgot to include the link to the product here (broken link removed)

Thanks so much BP! I'll probably be messaging back with her weight I'm not good with numbers at all and kind of don't get it (sorry). I need to find a way to weigh her, how would I do that do you go to the vet or put them in a grocery scale?

I recommend a kitchen food scale. Dosage for this concentration is as simple as 0.1ml per kg, so if she weight 1.1 kg you dose 0.11ml you don't have to be 100% accurate as this concentration is the weakest available and leaves a decent amount of room for error.

You should really be weighing her every week and recording it. As guinea pig prey animals they are very good at hiding symptoms of illness so often the first sign you will have that something isn't right is either a sudden drastic decrease in weight or a downward trend over numerous weeks.

Ditto @Soecara on needing the scale.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.