Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is my pig just a...pig?

WICavy

Cavy Slave
I got my new sow on the 4th and I've noticed her stomach looks a little large. She approx. 6 weeks old and was only housed with females (no pregnancy).

Anyway, she's been eating really well, about 25 grams of pellet/day, unlimited hay (I have a grass/alfalfa blend, mostly grass though), about 3 or 4 oz water, and 1/2 to 1 cup of veggies (carrot, red/green pepper, red lettuce, kale, tomato, apple, and dandelions). I don't think she's bloated; I've tapped her stomach and it doesn't sound hollow. Should I give her some acidophilous as a precaution? She has been having regular stools and lots! So maybe it is just because she's eating so much :D

I've been weighing as well:
10/6: 250
10/8: 250
10/10: 250
10/13: between 275 and 300
(My scale is not digital, so it's not 100% accurate.)

What do you think?

I'm not an expert, but she looks pretty normal to me.

Thats the right weight range for a 6 week old pig. Just keep watching and weighing her. She probably is just putting on weight from eating all that good food!

Acidophilus is for restoring gut flora, it doesn't help bloat. Simethicone and other prescription meds help with bloat.

She's just a young pig who likes to eat. If her tummy didn't sound hollow she most likely does not have bloat, just a full tummy from eating so many good veggies.

I was thinking about acidophilus because I thought maybe her system was stressed from the new environment/food.

I'm glad I was just over worrying and that she's enjoying her food so much! :p

She's no fatter than my piggie (he's a boy). LOL.

I hope she got treats for being subjected to pics of her fat! LOL :)

She is cute! Well...her belly is. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.