Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is a C and C cage dog safe?

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I have an adopter who wants to make a C and C cage, but has been told by the people in the forum she belongs to that her mimi poodle could get to the guinea pigs and kill them. Someone actually told her a story of a dog that got to her piggies through the cage.

The adopter says her poodle is very sweet, but kills rabbits in the backyard and she is afraid she will kill the piggies. Will someone please tell me how I can explain to her that a C and C cage with a shelving top will keep out a harmless mini poodle! Also, if she keep it off the ground, how the heck can the poodle even get to the pigs?

How can I talk some sense into this woman???

Thanks,
Grace

Tell her to zip-tie the HECK out of it, along with the connectors, and to put snap-clips on the shelving top. She should also put it up on a table or something if she's really that worried.

Seriously, the cages are harder to get into than any pet store cage I've seen. If my three year old child can't get into it, no mini-poodle is going to get into it o_O

I know, but she told me that the woman whose dog got to her pigs used zip ties!

Yes I have a lab mix who just loves my pigs and he once jumped up onto the top of the cage, and the dog was 86 pounds and they cage held him without any problems. But I made sure it did not happen again lol I made sure theres nothing he can jump with. But just zip tie it like a mad woman and put it on a table or a stand and keep it away from stools other tables, and beds because my dogs use those when they want to jump on things.

There is no way that the dog could get to it if she made a cover, and kept it off the ground. I have a poodle, a maltese, and two chih/dach mixes and they cannot get into the cage I have built. Also, tell her if she is still worried to make a stand 2 grids high (28in) So the dog would not be able to get into the cage Definatly.

Thank you. I will try and convince her and also find out which forum she got this BOGUS info from. Errrr.

actually, there has been a story of that sort here. Just search the forum for "dog proofing," there are some great suggestions.

We have a very heavy boxer and he's never gotten to our piggy. It might be because the cage is on top of a table and is zip-tied like crazy and has the connectors! The table is up against a wall too so that helps. Just make sure it's a very sturdy table and that it is not too small to support the cage.

No cage is safe from any dog. A petstore cage is no safer than a c&c cage and no amount of zip tieing is going to make it 100% dog proof. A dog can tear apart any type of guinea pig cage. It's been done to even the sturdiest of cages. If the cage is open enough to provide proper ventilation to the pigs it's open enough for a dog to get their teeth into it and tear it up. Also even the sweetest dogs can kill a pig by accident. My mom's rott mix always wants to just see the pigs and will take cages apart just to lick them. The problem is he is too rough and could kill them by accident. He has taken apart 2 guinea pig cages, 1 chinchilla cage, and a rabbit hut. I doubt he wouldn't accomplish pulling apart even the most reinforced c&c cage as well. My friends terrier and dachund have both taken apart similar petstore cages to get to small animals as well but there intent was not just to lick them. Size of dog does not mean your safe. The story in question also involved dogs breaking out of their crates and then into the pig cage so even that isn't a gurantee. If you are going to have dogs and small animals in the same household I believe their should always be a solid door seperating them when you aren't watching. Either keep the pigs cage in their own room or lock the dog in it's own room whenever you are out of sight of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.