Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is a 3x4 cage with a 1x4 loft big enough for 3 pigs?

TamTam

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs but one got sick so we had to take them to the vet and now they're getting hospitalized, and vet visits almost monthly sadly the other one is almost always lonely and I wanna get a third one so he isn't always lonely when the other pig is gone but I wanna know if this cage size is right for them

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The three by four cage is fine, but a one by anything loft can be a problem because there's not enough room for the pigs to get past each other.

But if you've got male pigs, we NEVER recommend trying to add a third pig. There have been a few people who can make it work, but it most often ends in spectacular failure, and one pig is left out.

Why is your pig being hospitalized monthly? How old is he?

TamTam

Cavy Slave
He's 4 years old, he was rescued, sense he's getting old he's facing a lot of health problems and started to refuse eating and drinking

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Four isn't particularly old for a guinea pig. If he's refusing to eat and drink, there's something more wrong with him than old age. Every guinea pig I've had has lived to be six or over, and the one I've got now is over seven.

What kind of symptoms does he have that require hospitalization?

TamTam

Cavy Slave
He's loosing fur very quickly and always has crust all over his nose and eyes, he also sometimes has trouble breathing and sometimes walking

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture? It sounds like he may have a fungal infection, and those are usually pretty easily treated.

Also, what exactly do you feed him? A lack of vitamin C can cause mobility problems. Guinea pigs are like people -- they can't manufacture their own vitamin C, and must get it from their diets.

And are you seeing an exotic vet? Small animal vets are trained in the care of dogs and cats, and usually know little or nothing about guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.