Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I Want to adopt a skinny pig MI

kalrik

Cavy Slave
I would love to adopt a skinny/baldwin guinea. I live in the Detroit area, michigan and will travel a considerable distance. I think this is a hopeless request, but i thought I'd try anyway.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Just advice of warning. I almost fell in this hole. If you can't find one to adopt - DO NOT go to a breeder or pet store. Skinnies and Baldwins have MAJOR health concerns that go way beyond that of regular pigs. There breeding should not be encouraged because they are sickly. They were specifically first bred by labs to have a weak immune systems.

Last edited:

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your advice. I really want one but won't go to a pet store or breeder. I am just going to have to wait! bummer.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
GL has some good threads on skinnies.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Glad you are willing to wait to adopt. Make sure you do your homework on this poor breed. You will probably spend a fortune at the vets so make sure money is no problem.

They also need to be kept at a stable temperature and protected from anything that may cause abrasions and irritation to their skin. After all they have no hair to keep them warm or protect them.

Skinnies and Baldwins are a lot of work. Absolutely make certain you understand how hard it will be to take care of them properly. This commitment can last 8 years. Be sure you are up for it.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Any other places I can get info?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
She is in Toronto. That is quite a drive from Michigan.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
SHe is about five hours from me. I was hoping for Ohio Michigan or Eastern Indiana. THanks though. I also coudln't get the link to work: (

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
She says she is willing to drive quite a bit. 2.5 hours for each of you sounds resonable.

Just remember if you take them- potentially serious vet bills could follow.

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
I drove 5 hours one way to adopt my RainStorm. ;~)

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I have contacted the person from guinea lynx. I have females and one male already so unfortunately they would not be able to all live together. I have e-mailed her though to see if we can work something out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.