Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I built my first C&C cage last night!

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
I adopted my guinea pig Oreo last weekend from a teacher who previously had him as a classroom pet. His cage was abusively small (less than 2 square feet of room :weepy:), so I immediately started looking for new cage options. Yesterday I went out and got all the stuff for a C&C cage and built him a new 2x4 cage last night! He seems to enjoy it, and I'm happy I can give him the room to finally run around!

One problem, however, my husband doesn't like how much room it takes up and says our house resembles a farm now :sarcastic. I explained to him that he NEEDS this room, to deny it to him is neglectful. I can tell he's still not happy about it, though.

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
I would love to get a second pig, I've been looking on Petfinder.com to see if I can get him a buddy. ;)

And as far as my husband, I finally did tell him to shut his face :D.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
We started with a 2 by 4 on our beautiful dining room table in our great room. I was the one appalled as I am the decor freak. We now have a 3 by 5 with a 5 X 1 loft on the floor underneath the kitchen dining bar in the living room and I dont care what it looks like. I even gave up my dreams of beautiful bar stools for that area. I guess I am in "piggy love".

Malhablada

Cavy Slave
I sympathize. Our 2x4 cage is currently taking up the entire guest bed, not to mention the other cage for our loner sow, which is on a stand and taking up just about all the maneuvering space in our office.

For such small creatures, they do tend to end up getting the most of everything.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could challenge your husband to build a better looking, more compact cage with just as much or more floor space? Some guys really get into designing levels and ramps and all that. :eek:ptimist: As a reward you can let him open his face occasionally! And what's wrong with a farm? I grew up on one. I changed my mind, tell him to shut his face again. lol

loveforcavies

Cavy Slave
Congrats on building your first C&C cage, I am hoping to finish up the cage I am building for Blossom and Bubbles today - when I can finally stop by to buy the coroplast!
I know what you mean about your husband though, I am not even finished with my cage yet and when my boyfriend saw how big it was already, he was shocked at how much space it took and kind of gave this look of disapproval like it didn't look great in our living room lol. But I told him they need a big cage so he's pretty much agreed to accept it - after all he did finally agree to let me have guinea pigs hehe.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Congrats on getting and building the cage. Bet your super excited as well as your piggy. If you guineapig is your avator he or she is very beautiful. Goodluck with finding a buddy.

OreosMum

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! My husband is getting used to it now, he likes my guinea pig more than his cat now lol. He's already started visualizing building a big cage setup for the piggys. He's succumbed to the cuteness! :p

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
All Right! Piggy cuteness triumphs again!

socal805

Cavy Slave
I have to say I am soooo happy that I am not the only one getting disapproving looks from my husband. When I wanted to get the pigs my husband thought I was nuts and when he saw the size of the cage he thought I had really lost my mind. We made a 2x3.5 because the area we wanted (he wanted) it to be in was not big enough for the 2x4. I have since re-arranged furniture (did this one say whilst hubby was out) and now I have plenty of room for the bigger cage. Now I just neeed more black coroplast so I can make them a bigger cage with a 2nd level. Little does Mr. Hubby know that I plan on adding to the piggy family one of these days. I would even like to foster shelter pigs until they found loving homes. What will he say about that I wonder???? He knows I need my fur babies and theres nothing he can do about it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.