Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How Often do you Give Fruit?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,
Just wondering how often do you give fruit to your guinea pigs? My herd gets one small apple, or a quarter of a papaya, etc. after I clean their cage [once a week], but that's about it.
The only fruits that everyone likes are blueberries, cranberries, papaya, apples, strawberries and grapes. Most of those are really high in sugar so I don't feed them very often.

So do you give it somewhat often? Once a week or less? Daily in small amounts? Just curious!

Depends on whats all going on either once a week or twice a month

I usually give a small amount twice a week. If I'm eating something and they smell it sometimes I give them all a couple bites, like from an apple or pear etc. If they get extra they have to work for it which means they have to come and get it from me.

Maybe once a week. A very small piece if I'm eating something like apple or pear or a berry (something they can eat).

Right now my piggies are having a protest against bell pepper so they get citrus fruit about twice a week to make up for some of that lost vitamin C (they eat other things with Vitamin C in them but not as much as a bell pepper has) because they are getting so much fruit they are getting less variety (they don't get bites of apple or pear right now) so I can watch their sugar intake.

I mean who doesn't like bell pepper? It's nature's perfect vitamin C containing food!

Okay if you count tomatoes I guess they eat fruit an extra two times a week.

Last edited:
Right now my piggies are having a protest against bell pepper so they get citrus fruit about twice a week to make up for some of that lost vitamin C (they eat other things with Vitamin C in them but not as much as a bell pepper has) because they are getting so much fruit they are getting less variety (they don't get bites of apple or pear right now) so I can watch their sugar intake.

Kiwi contains more C then oranges. Also Kale is also high in C and can be fed I think three times a week.

I was worried kiwi had too much sugar? Hmm I do have two kiwi's in the fridge I bet they'd go over well. The piggies eat a lot of kale I didn't know it had a lot of vitamin C in it...awesome. :) My room mate and I are vegetarians and we just happen to love kale.

I give fruit very rarely anymore.

Kale is high in C but it's only a twice a week food at most because it can be gassy. Broccoli florets are also high in C but they are like kale and at most only a twice a week food.

Probably too often. We have a fruit salad for dessert several times a week. Husband likes to give a piece of apple peel to each of the four the pigs. So they are each getting perhaps a 2 in. by 1 in. piece of apple peel maybe four times a week. You know how it is with the other half, I do not like to discourage his interest in them or scold him for giving them a treat. Is a piece of peel any better to feed than the apple itself?

Probably too often. We have a fruit salad for dessert several times a week. Husband likes to give a piece of apple peel to each of the four the pigs. So they are each getting perhaps a 2 in. by 1 in. piece of apple peel maybe four times a week. You know how it is with the other half, I do not like to discourage his interest in them or scold him for giving them a treat. Is a piece of peel any better to feed than the apple itself?

I'd always heard that the peel was where most of the nutrients were.
My mom runs a daycare and she has two of my boys living with her; the kids give them apple peels once or twice a week.

I give either slice of Apple, Orange, or grapes a couple times a week. The only thing they really like is the apple and grapes. So they don't get a lot of fruit. But they love love love peppers!

My 2 have had fruit 3 times since we got them in early September. So I would guess once a month. They LOVE Kiwi (if I save them any lol) and liked apple. Those are the only 2 I've tried that they ate.

I am glad this was brought up because I have been very curious about this.

My 2 girls get a very small amount of fruit almost every day. Like 1/8th of a strawberry to share (depending on the size of the berry), one blueberry each, half a grape (not often), or a tiny piece of apple. I would rather give them just a small bit more often. They occasionally have melon rind and I tried orange peel but that is not fruit I usually have in the house.

Its kind of odd maybe, but I tend to feed them how I eat..fruit low in sugar (berries usually) and more spread out, not a lot at once.

(Waving to Duff :))

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.