Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets How often do they need pellets, or do they need them at all?

Krisco88

Cavy Slave
OK, so I am new to this. I have hay, pellets and take veggies up regularly.
When they first got here I was taking veggies up twice a day. I have noticed they were not eating the pellets.

I reduced veggies to once a day in hopes they would eat the pellets. They still dont eat them.
Are pellets a NEED or will they be ok with just the hay and veggies?

Right now veggies are carrots and kale.

The pellets they have are the same pellets I put in saturday when I changed the bedding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aleks

Cavy Slave
They should have 1/8-1/4 cup of pellets per pig per day. (Plain Alfalfa based if under 1 year, and plain Timothy based if 1 year or older.)
If you filled the bowl all the way with pellets, then that may be why they have some left.
Pellets should be a part of their daily diet unless they can't have them for medical reasons. Pellets are where they get all of the extra vitamins and minerals that they need.

You need to give them more of a variety in veggies than that, though.
Kale should only bed fed 1-2 times a week as it has too much calcium and is very high in Vit. A. 1 small-med baby carrot per pig per day is ok.
Some good veggies to feed daily are Red/Green leaf lettuce, Radicchio, Green bell peppers, wheat grass, cherry tomatoes (1-2 per pig per day).
Here's a great nutrition chart that will help you pick what to feed them and how often: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Remember to introduce new veggies into their diets slowly and one at a time. You don't want to upset their digestive systems.

ETA: I forgot to mention that they should get at least one cup of veggies per pig per day. Most people give half in the morning and half in the evening. :)

Last edited:

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
In addition to what Alecks said, if you're feeding an Alfalfa based hay, don't feed Alfalfa pellets as it will cause excess calcium. If your pigs are 6+ months, nothing alfalfa based at all.

Try them with romaine/cos/any lettuce, as it tends to be a firm favourite with most piggies, and it isn't too 'exotic' so to speak. It's a good starter veg.

Krisco88

Cavy Slave
k, I'll pick up more veggies in the morning. Hay was given to us when we got them but I am sure their previous mama knew what kind of hay to give them, she has been doing this for quite a while. The girls are 3 years old I believe.

Krisco88

Cavy Slave
And I never measured, just filled the bowl so that may be why it looked like they were not eating a lot.

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
You may need to switch brands. When I first got my pig she wouldn't eat the cheap stuff. I put her on Oxbow Pellets and she loves them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.