Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How many times a day do you feed veggies?

ToasterStrudel

Cavy Gazer
How often do you feed your pigs veggies? I usually give mine a cup of lettuce/cucumber/peppers in the morning and then again in the evening before bed. Is there a limit on how many veggies should be fed daily?

Banshee

Cavy Slave
I feed my guinea pig around a cup of romaine lettuce every night (I'm trying to improve variety, but he hates everything but romaine, carrots, and apples, which isn't the best for daily feeding, from my understanding).
I think the rule is one cup per pig-so if you have a pair, feeding a cup in the morning and a cup at night is probably a good way to balance it out!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It's recommend to feed 1 cup of veggies per day per pig. Some owners go over that a bit, I know personally my girls get more like 1 1/2 cups.

I split their veggies into two feedings (morning and before bed) and they get the exact same things at both feedings.
- Red or green leaf lettuce
- 1/8th of a green pepper per feeding
- Cucumber slice
- Cherry tomato
At night they also each get a baby carrot. I will sometimes have other things for them like radicchio, belgium endive, or escarole but the above are their staples.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about that too. My piggies are still babies for one more month, and package says I shouldn't limit their pellets, but one of them looks overweight, so I rather feed them more veggies, and less pellets. Nobody gets fat from veggies, right? I limit their carrots, but give them lots of greens, bell pepper, cucumber, watermelon rinds, and other veggies.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Well crap I didn't know we were supposed to limit the baby carrots I thought those were in green for daily. Crud... Anyway the boys have a small cat food dish. One side I put either red or green leaf lettuce. (I mix it up) They get green, yellow or red bell peppers. Baby carrots and green beans. I try to mix it up between feedings so they don't get "bored". I feed them in the morning as we are getting ready for work/ school and in the evenings after their fleece shake out and floor time.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I feed them veggies in the morning, at lunchtime and dinner time. I split their quota between the three feedings. I give them pellets in the morning and refill hay as needed.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I give each pig 1/2 cup in the morning and again at the evening. The hay is 24/7 and pellets at night. They do get bits of stuff during the day. Like they each had a piece of the pear I just ate and a cherry tomato when I washed them. They are right across from the kitchen in the dinning room so the wheek for food all the time.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
In the morning I give each of my pigs 1 or 2 lettuce leaves (depending on the size of the leaves), and in the evening I split a green bell pepper between the five pigs. My mom also gives them snacks during the day (despite my protests) so they get either a baby carrot or a few sprigs of cilantro per day, too. Occasionally they get a green bean or two, and a few times I have tried feeding zucchini and tomatoes but nobody would eat them.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I feed in the morning and at night. In the morning, they get lettuce only--I'm in a hurry, no time for salad-making!

For dinner, they get lettuce along with whatever else I have--usually a baby carrot each, and sometimes I have bell peppers (it's difficult to get them because my mom is somewhat of a "guinea pigs don't need ____" person... However, my dad sometimes gets them. In the meantime, I've been mixing vitamin C supplements in their pellets to make up for it.)

Occasionally, they may get a but of orange/banana/apple peel, strawberry tops, or other fruit scraps.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Hay is unlimited.

Veggies are given in the morning and evening.

Pellets are given before I go to bed.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I feed them veggies once a day (at night). I give about 1.5 cups per pig daily of leafy veggies (lettuce, radicchio, endive, etc), and then 1 wedge of pepper per pig a day.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My pigs have unlimited hay, and veggies I split up and basically I give them when they wheek, mostly in the evening after I'm home form work. Cherry tomatoes are their favorite so they definitely get one of them a day and otherwise its a variety between different leafy greens, carrots, peppers, cucumber, green beans, etc. One of my pigs are prone to stones so I try to limit high calcium foods. I don't have them on any sort of specific schedule, never have.

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
I feed m y pigs every time I eat so they get fed three times a day but they do not eat pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.