Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Long Will She Live? (Syrian Hamster)

PopAndFizz

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hey
I know this is a guinea pig site but my SYRIAN hamster is very old
ive had her since easter 2013 how much longer does she have left estimating?

Re: How Long Will She Live?

I think their average lifespan is 2-3 years

Re: How Long Will She Live?

Until a couple months ago when I got my piggy, all I had was hamsters! As many as four at a time! Their lifespan can vary greatly but if you've had yours twocyears already, that's great! The oldest I had was about 3.5 years old. That's an OLD hammy!! Between two and three years is about average (closer to two is more common). When you notice the signs of aging, sleeping more, running less, pickier when they eat...it's best to adjust their cage to one level to avoid stress on their joints and accidental falls. Placing tunnels horizontally instead of vertically lets them play with less risk of injury. Cage cleaning (if not doing it this way normally) should be done with as little stress as possible. Clean out the most soiled areas every other day and only do full cage changes if absolutely necessary. Try to disturb their sleeping area as little as possible!
Be sure to keep an eye on her for signs of a stroke, or eye problems as they are very common as they get older. You obviously take great care to have one that's two already! <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.