Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n How long have YOU been vegetarian/vegan?

*Cavy~Cuddler*

Cavy Slave
I have been a vegetarian for 3 years. My husband is a chef and doesn't think it is right not to eat meat. I have taken alot of crap from my family about it especialy since we live in Texas. I enjoy being a Vegetarian and would never think of going to meat again.

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
I have been vegetarian for around 9 years. I gave up chicken a few years before that, but had trouble giving up beef and pork BBQ (I live in Memphis, after all). That all changed when within a month we had two tractor trailor accidents in our city involving cattle carriers. The cows that weren't killed in the accident or by police after the accident because they were a traffic hazard, were rounded up and continued their journey to the slaughterhouse. I have not eaten meat since.

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
Vegetarian for about two weeks

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Strict vegan for 6 years and will always be. Dogs and cat too!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Ten- it will be eleven in September.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
For about a year, I think. I was diagnosed with IBS, and discovered that meat just makes it worse. Plus it feels good knowing that's a few less animals that will be slaughtered just to feed me.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Ive been vegetarian for one year and 6 months. I wouldnt call myself a vegan yet because I occasionally still eat cheese, I plan on being a vegetarian for my whole life.

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
I went vegan as my New Year's Resolution this year soon after I started my research on the subject.

PatchworkPig
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Anyone else's dog or cat a veggie too?

SandyF

Cavy Slave
For about a year, I think. I was diagnosed with IBS, and discovered that meat just makes it worse.
Same here. I have suffered with IBS for years, and discovered that eating meat made it worse. I'd eat a piece of fried chicken at a restaurant, and by the time we got home I'd be making a bee-line to the bathroom. Same with steaks and burgers. So I gave up meat 6+ years ago when I noticed that skipping meat made my stomach a lot less sensitive. Shortly thereafter, I read "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins. It really changed my perspective on eating animals.

I still have problems with my stomach on occasion, usually when I'm stressed out, but eliminating meat from my diet has greatly helped -- and is a choice I feel really good about from an ethical standpoint, too.

Weatherlight

Cavy Slave
Anyone else's dog or cat a veggie too?

My partner has two cats who are vegan. Kitty transitioned to a vegan diet starting November 2003 (when I arrived at the scene), Robin in January 2004 (when she was adopted from the shelter). I really think they should be getting at least some Vegecat, but my partner is lazy and feeds Evolution.

crazychic

Cavy Slave
Honestly, Ive been one my whole life. When I was a baby my parents couldnt not get me to drink cows milk and had to search for something that I would drink instead. I wound up drinking rice milk, which I still drink. When I was a little bit older but still a very small child, I downright refused to eat any kind of eat bc I thought it was absolutly disgusting and sometimes when I ate it, I would throw up. Then I became old enough to realize where meat came from and they made meat even worse to me. Im 20 yrs old now.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I became vegan 12 years ago. Since then, I have lapsed into vegetarianixm, pescatarianism and am now a bit of a confusing mixture of the 3! (Though trying to remember the last time I ate fish - and can't - it would have been as an invited guest). I don't drink cows milk, avoid animal tested products etc, but eat some cheese and occasional other dairy.

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
I think like...three months or something, I don't keep count, I just know I'm done with meat. It's great, it makes me feel more active, and healthy, not to menchion how much I am helping animals. My parents don't mind it, they've realized how helathy a diet it is to be vegetarian and how it could help them lose weight. My mom cooks me lots of veggie stuff for meals ^_^ she's great. I don't have any cravings for meat, never liked it much any ways, taking it out of my diet wasn't that big a deal for me, but I do eat more veggies now which is good. I'll be vegetarian for the rest of my life, it's too great for me to do otherwise.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I became a vegatarian May 2, 2005 and four days ago I decided to go vegan. This is only my fourth day being a vegan, but I love it already. :)

Last edited:

mandyish

Cavy Slave
about 8 years now.. :) being in the south it is very hard but i've managed!

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I have taken alot of crap from my family about it especialy since we live in Texas.
I know exactly what you mean. I think it might have been easier if I still lived in a big college town (Bryan/College Station) but now I live in a small farming community about an hour outside of Dallas.

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
2 weeks and 4 days! So far so good, thank God for quorn!

CadburysMommy

Cavy Slave
I have been a lacto ovo vegetarian for 22 years now, a lacto vegetarian for 20 years and a vegan for 19 years...and counting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.