Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Long For Floortime?

• Thread starter dextersmycutegp
  • Start date

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs never get floortime, and they basically demolish things in their cage (2x6 with a 1x2 loft) bacause they are bored. So I would like to try giving them floortime. The problem is that I have no time to give them floortime.
They could be out from 3:00pm to 7:30 (or later sometimes 8 or 9 o'clock at night) while I am at work or for an hour in the morning while I get ready for school. Which is better? The longer they are out the more ready they are to be put back in their cage, and i would worry that Holly would start trying to get out of the piggie proofed part of my room. But I would also worry that gettng only one hour of floortime isn't really enough for young pigs, (two 8 month old and one year old). What does every body else do? How do you work floortime into your schedule?
Thanks in advance!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Any bit of floor time is better than no floor time. I would be scared to do it when I'm not there though, a just in case mind set.

I'm a college student and am on campus for the majority of the day. (Anywhere from 10 to 4 or 6 most days) So I do my floor time in the evening. As of late however it has been to hard to set up a "proper" floor time because I have four separate groups. But when I did have two groups I did an hour for each group (which I plan to do when I once again have two groups.)

janetangel

Cavy Slave
What works for me and my schedule is...I have been averaging every other day for my girls for floor time, that is also when I thoroughly clean their cage. If I go any longer which the longest I have done has been 2 nights, they get pretty anxious to get their time. They are also harder to catch if I go too long.
I work during the day M-F 7:30am to 4:00PM. I come home, check in with my family, make sure my human kids are fed, dogs are fed, than go to the stables to take care of our horses. I am there usually until about 8:00PM at night unless there is something else going on.
When I come home on floortime nights, I set up the pen, get everyone out, clean the cage, feed veges and than get on the computer for my time for the rest of the evening. Usually when they are done eating and activity has relaxed for them, I put them all back. They probably avg about an hour of floortime, during this they had play time and vege time.
My oldest has recently been getting the girls out one at a time in the morning for cuddle time a couple of minutes for each piggie. We have 4. We have 17 animals in our house, so the whole family pitches in with their care and it is mostly done by routine and shared responsibilities. Once the routine is established, the rest is a lot easier to handle.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Just incase you've not seen this, here's a great link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/floortime.htm

I personally don't offer floor time as often is recommended, and this makes me feel bad. However, they do spend a whole day (usually Saturday) scampering around our bathroom. It is as piggy safe as can be - no wires or other dangerous hazards (including other pets - we only have a snail - which doesn't pose much of a threat!), three grids prevent escape or fall down/up the stairs, and I put towels and newspapers on the floor (non-carpet surface). Ofcourse, they also have hideys and tunnels, veggies and hay etc!

So I feel confident leaving them there unsupervised while I clean out their cage, and catch up on everything else!!! I wouldn't feel happy letting them roam anywhere I wasn't 100% sure was as safe as possible for them.

I know it's not the daily ideal, but they don't appear atall unhappy in their cage (3 x 4 with 1 x 4 loft). This is what fits into our schedule.

vics2004

Cavy Slave
Howver, jarbax the top of that section says it is more important the smaller the cage, and yours is quite big. Mine don't get daily floor time, more like every other day. They have had more this week as I have been off.

When the rabbit goes for her week of bunny mooning with her new friend (our neutered male we are adopting) I am thinking of having the guinea pigs free range in there as its already animal proofed.

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
I let Chum run around my guinea pig safed part of my room for about an hour every day after school, and we have tons of fun. Today, we had three hours, I just couldn't put him away, he was having soo much fun, I'd say the more time the better, Chum loves every bit of time out of his cage he can get, running outside, playing with my cat Pepper. I play with Chum whenever I get the time -_- don't neglect your cavy ^_^ give 'em lots of fun things to do whenever you get the chance.

crazychic

Cavy Slave
My boys get about an hour of floortime in the evenings when I am everyday. They also get about a half an hour of cuddle time where I take each one and just pet them while I do homework or watch t.v. (they love this) On the days that I am less busy, I let them out for a lot longer. I suggest letting yours out an providing a larger cage so they have room to play. Remember that they are in that cage all day long.

WindeSpirit

Cavy Slave
I've got four cages (6 if technical) and we go by days, not hours. I took all electric objects out except for the night light and the air cleaner and a fan that sometimes get ran when window can be opened. All cords I use binder clips to get up off the floor and the enterence I use grids so if I open the door nobody goes running out. Also blocks access to air cleaner & night light if cords should ever fall. Since there is a dog and cat in the house and I like their door open, a screen door got installed as well.

Some 2 or 3 pigs is usually always out except during floor clean up before the next pair comes out. It all works in rotation.
I also work 12 or more hours a day so don't get to spend nearly as much time as I like with them either. They still speed around and play tag when I'm in or out of the room.

ljm0104

Cavy Slave
My baby usually sits in my lap while I read things for homework and then he likes to watch tv with me so about an hour a day.

zippysmom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You cannot let your pigs have floortime unsupervised. They can escape (ask Zippy) and they might bight a cable and get electrocuted!
https://www.guineapigcages.com/floortime.htm

You can give your guinea pigs floortime for an hour, if you can. Maybe your guinea pigs are bored because they have nothing to occupy their mind? If they need some extra toys you can look at this.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

Blindy

Cavy Slave
Mine get at least one hour a day, but on weekends and holidays they 1,5 if I dont do any thing special they get 2 hours sometimes.

rubies1883

Cavy Slave
I usually let my pigs out until they seem bored, which usually takes about 15 minutes. Then, I put them back. I do this a couple times a day. It seems to work.

mommy2rosie

Cavy Slave
I let mine out for about 45 min. to an hour. Curley and Hairetta, are okay if a take my eye off them for a second, however Rosie is not. I have to have time to just focus on her. My mom also watches them, and lets them run.

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
We have about half an hour per day. The piggies actually start wheeking at me at around 7-30pm, so it seems to be a routine they like. Maybe it could be the extra vegies and treats they get during floor time too that makes them so keen to get out....lol

It is a great fun time for all of us, and the dogs usually come around for a sniff and play. The piggies chase them around, and they all get on really well together.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Due to changed family circumstances, I can't let mine out as long as I would like. They used to get 1-2 hours in the morning then 1-2 hours in the evening, but this has changed.

Now, they come out in the evening to eat and so I can clean their cage. On full clean days emptying it completely and putting fresh fleece in) they can be out for 2 hours. This happens twice a week, Tuesday and Saturday. Every other day I just vacuum the cage and get fresh hay, pellets and water which takes around 25 minutes.

My pigs far prefer their cage to floor time, unless I go all out and make them the ultimate playground to explore. They see no point whatsoever in staying away from their fresh hay longer than necessary!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.