Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How long does hay last?

Oldbandaid

Cavy Slave
I tried searching for it except the words "hay" and "how" to short for the search thingy. Is it easier to buy hay by 45 lbs at a time? how long will it ask. And also, Say I buy a guinea pig that's new born (just saying), how many pounds of alfalfa hay do I need to buy for it to last the first six months of it's life? Basically the main question is, How much does 1lb of hay last with two guinea pigs?

Oldbandaid

Cavy Slave
Sorry to DOuble post, but Also how long does 50lbs of Cavy cuisine last. 2 Guinea pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There is no definite answer to this question. All pigs eat hay at a different rate. 45lbs. should last 2 pigs anywhere from 3-6 months I would think.

50lbs. of Cavy Cuisine is a lot for 2 pigs. You'd have to freeze the bulk of it for it to stay fresh and not lose it's vitamin C content. It would last several months.

Oldbandaid

Cavy Slave
There is no definite answer to this question. All pigs eat hay at a different rate. 45lbs. should last 2 pigs anywhere from 3-6 months I would think.

50lbs. of Cavy Cuisine is a lot for 2 pigs. You'd have to freeze the bulk of it for it to stay fresh and not lose it's vitamin C content. It would last several months.

So you would reccoment something around 10 lbs?

pignewton

Cavy Slave
If stored properly hay can last for months. However, it takes up a lot of space.

Also, please dont "buy" another pig. Look for a homeless one to rescue. You'll be glad you did.

Oldbandaid

Cavy Slave
If stored properly hay can last for months. However, it takes up a lot of space.

Also, please dont "buy" another pig. Look for a homeless one to rescue. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, I know that xD. It looks like I got carried away with the whole "Buy pellets", "Buy hay" and all that xD

aaronmeister

Cavy Slave
On the pellets:
1/8th cup per pig per day = 1 FL Ounce
16 ounces = 1lbs
50lbs * 16 ounce= 800ounces
2 pigs= 1/4 cup (or 2 fl ounces) per day
800ounces/2 ounces= 400 days

A 50lbs bag should last 400 days.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
3.5 months ago, when Frisky was 2.5 months old, I bought:

1 x 10 lbs. Alfalfa Complete Pellets
1 x 05 lbs alfalfa hay ()
1 x 09 lbs. "Early" 2nd cut Timothy hay ()
1 x 09 lbs Bluegrass hay ()

He's 6 months now (and so is Parcheesi, whom we just adopted) so we are done using the alfalfa hay, and we didn't use half of it.

The bag of pellets is almost gone. Because he was a baby, we were offering unlimited pellets.

Frisky loves the bluegrass best, and we give him as much as he will eat, but we still have "most" of the grass hay left as well.

(We did have a little petstore hay that I was mixing in there as well, another pound or so).

I would estimate that in 3.5 mos, our one young pig used about a total of 6-7 lbs of hay, and about 8 lbs of pellets

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Phoenix, you can still use the alfalfa til it's gone. Just give it as a once or twice weekly supplement in small amounts. They are still growing so the little bit of extra calcium won't hurt them.

LonePig

Cavy Slave
Hay will last for months and months, provided it has been properly dried before packaging, and that it is properly stored when you get it home. If the hay you get is tightly packed, aka. hay bale, I would recommend breaking it up as much as possible. This will ensure that if there is any moisture trapped toward the center, that it will stay dried out as it is supposed to. The only time you may have a problem is if your hay was not properly dried in the field prior to baling/or packaging, or if your hay becomes wet or damp.

On December 7th I received 9lbs of Timothy Hay, and it ran out last week. I am currently feeding 3 adult guinea pigs. I am generous with the hay, but their consumption has picked up since the winter months set in. So the 9lbs lasted me about a month with my three pigs. Hope that helps.

deepelemgirl

Cavy Slave
From what our 3 pigs have eaten, I'd say about 2lbs pellets a month per pig sounds about right to me. From what I've been reading about vitamin C content in the pellets, you will want to use up all the pellets in about 6 months. A 25lb bag should be about perfect.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.