Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets How do I store a LOT of pellets and keep them fresh?

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
I have recently bought the 10lb bag of timothy pellets from KM. My guinea pig loves them, but 10lbs is a lot for one pig. I live in a basement, so I worry about the possibility of mice.

Last time I tried to stow Oxbow pellets in a bread box (plastic, made for holding home made bread), I got to the bottom and it was moist and gross and possibly moldy (yuck!)

I don't want that to happen again. I keep thinking of using these: Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 5161-RD Cereal Keeper: Kitchen & Dininghich seems like a worthy investment, but the food needs to stay nice and dry. Any suggestions?

Put the pellets in zip-loc bags and freeze them. I don't know how long they have to thaw though, sorry.

Any dry cool place will do -- they don't have to be stored in the freezer. I keep mine in the kitchen in big plastic bags, and I've never had any to spoil.

Okay, that'll save a few bucks. I can't put them in a freezer, I kinda don't have one.

Go to any feed store or pet store and stpre the food in a dog food container. It seals shut & air tight. I stored 25 lbs of hamster food that way.

@Gigabyte

I dunno if this will help you at all, but I am planning on using the EXACT same type of container for my pellets.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.