Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition How can they sell this?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
There are no standard requiring that the product provide proper nutrition. They sell it because it makes money and possibly because they have not actually investigated what constitutes proper guinea pig nutrition.

Do they not have any standards that food must pass in order to be sold? Could I just mix a bunch of stuff together, call it guinea pig food, and no one would stop me?

I hear you and it's frustrating because people may assume that it has veggies so it's okay or that pigs are like hamsters and need seeds. But it's basically the same as Ring Dings and other junk foods being okay to sell. Those don't provide any nutritional value and can do more harm than good, but it's up to the consumer to do their research and do what's best for themselves and their pets. It's sad how few people do either.

When I first got my 2 piggies Charlotte and Lily this is the kind of food that they came with. They never really seemed to eat anything other than the pellets so I went online and I found this wonderful site and thank god the next day I switched them to pellets only (and veggies of course!) and threw the other crap away. If it wasn't for this site, I probably would have continued to give them the "crap". Most people don't do enough research when they get an animal and when they go to the store and they see a bag of food with the animal they have on it, Im sure the thought of "oh well if a guinea pig is on the bag it must be ok for them" goes through their head. With all the animals I have I've learned not to trust the cute pictures on the bags for food anymore.

What are the best brands of food and hay to get, that you don't have to order online?

What are the best brands of food and hay to get, that you don't have to order online?

You can find Oxbow at PetSmart or in some vet offices and rescue centers.

(broken link removed)

You can also find more recommended brands by using the search function for "pellet brands" or something similar.

Last edited:
Thats just the way how lower classed brand roll... they just throw in human junk food and market it then young piggie owners fall for the nice coloured looking bits and all the colours and seeds then feed it to their piggie not knowing what that their hurting their pigs every 1/8 of a cup...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.