Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids How big should the piggy be?

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Is there a particular size/weight/ age when it's safe for a pig to have a grid cage. My little boys are on the verge of needing more space but I wouldn't want them to get injured if they tried to stick their face through.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can babyproof the cage by making the coroplast walls taller, or overlap the grids to make the spacing between the bars smaller.

(broken link removed)

You can also wedge extra pieces of cardboards or coroplast between the coroplast tray and the grids.

(broken link removed)

See this photo gallery for more ideas.
(broken link removed)

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Generally as long as you're using the right type of grid with at least nine holes each way it should be pretty much safe for any guinea pig six months old and older. If you have a baby baby then you may need to either have the Coroplast at least 6 inches tall around the sides or use cardboard or something to make the edges at least 6 inches tall. 8 inches if you wanna be super safe

lissie

Cavy Slave
Actually, under 6 months, the walls should be 10 inches.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I believe they are about 3 months so I'll put some plexi or coro between them and the bars when I make their new C&C. : )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.