Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hmmmm...wondering

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I know there is thread after thread about a possible pregnancy but if someone could lend some advice-that'd be great.
I adopted a couple of girls from a family off Craigslist around 3 weeks or so ago. I have noticed that they have been getting alittle more "plump" around the hip section-one more than the other. And the nipples are clearly present-although I don't know if that's normal for female pigs pregnant or not.
To my knowledge-they were not with any males but the thing is, I can't get a response from the people I got them from to ask. :sad:
I have tried to feel for movement, but haven't felt anything yet and I haven't really noticed an increase in appitite. They were quite large when I got them, but they seem to be getting wider and pear shaped.
I don't know...any imput would be fabulous.
Thank you all-as always!

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Well...gestation is 59-72 days so at 3 weeks, they may not even be 1/2 way yet. You may just need to wait, but I think you could probably ultrasound them to be sure?

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave
Well, I've only had them for about 3 weeks-so I'm not sure what had happened before I got them. I'd hate to think that is the reason for the "rehome" issue with the other family. I've been reading some other posts and I think I'll start weighing them.
Thank you SeeSpotSit :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're not weighing them regularly (at least once a week), you need to start doing that. Do you know how old they are? and how much they weigh now>

Nipples are always present on guinea pigs regardless of the sex.

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave
I was told they were about a year and a half and I don't know their weight...will begin the weigh in tomorrow am. And thanks for the info on the teet issue, I had been wondering about that.
Thank you bpatters :)

bubblesba24

Cavy Slave
i had the same thing happen to me got two females off of cl and one im 99% sure is gonna give birth soon do you have a pic of her?

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
My best friend is in the same situation. She adopted a pig 5 weeks ago from craigslist, and her piggy is about to bust. I noticed that even in her early weeks of being pregnant, that her belly was very hard/solid instead of mushy. I have a two year old pig that is quiet hefty and her belly is mushy. If there is babies, you should be able to feel solid masses, instead of the extra fat being all mush. She also increased her the amount of water intake as she got larger. She goes through a bottle of water a day. She is also pretty lazy now that she is larger. Yesterday I felt the babies kicking! We are nervous for her, but excited at the same time.

bubblesba24

Cavy Slave
im to scared to feel her belly to see if its hard or not...how do you do it???

bubblesba24

Cavy Slave
right now im pretty sure i felt kicking and she is very big getting larger by the day

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Very gently. Don't handle her if you think she might be pregnant. Give her some lettuce, and take the opportunity to feel her sides where they stick out. A little rubbing around on her belly won't hurt her or the babies. Just be gentle. If she gets upset, then you will know to give her her space.

bubblesba24

Cavy Slave
thanks will do!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.